1st year as a PA-C... reactions/thoughts/advice wanted from your experience

• 1 year later...

I am 7 months into my first PA job in PC. I am in a FQHS and have a doc's cell and beeper # in case I have questions when I am alone in one of the clinics. I also ask the docs that are physically at the clinics with me; most are helpful, some are not. I study whenever I can and if there is a case that I am unfamiliar with, I make it a point to find out the pertinent information I need to know. I carry my ipad mini with me and use Epocrates Essentials and uptodate as well as Tarascon for drugs. For my first few months I couldn't believe how much I didn't know and in these last few months I can't believe how much I have learned. Thank you all for the posts that serve as an encouragement and an education to all of us newbies. I gave up a lot to follow my dream and am certain that it is worth every sacrifice.

What is the best resource to use for such a broad specialty such as FP? At times, I find myself overwhelmed with where to start... Its all relevant and all needs to be known. Any advice on how/where to start? New grad 6 months into family practice.

I am only 7 months out of school but here is my two cents: up to date is great but wordy, I love Epocrates Essentials, Tarascon/Sanford on my iphone and mini ipad, and I carry a tote bag with me that contains Ferri's Best Test & Ferri's Fast Facts in Dermatology, among other resources. Unfortunately I travel between two or more clinics so it's hard to set up shop in one place so the tote is essential!

• 1 year later...

I just graduated PA school last week and am taking boards July 9th!  Another resource that I found during my last rotation which I found very helpful and wish I had it for all of PA school was Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals.  Here is the link and the best part is that it is FREE!!!!

1. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/index.html

2. They also have a lab coat version that is about 25.00:  http://www.merckbooks.com/symptoms/index.html

• 1 month later...

Great thread...should be required reading for all new graduates! I am in the last few months of my first two years out of school in a community health center. Study, study, study. The cases you see during the day should be study material that evening. We cannot depend on a wonderful supervising physician to be there for us because some of us just never had that  perk. I did not. When you graduate PA School, the diligence in reading and learning should not end. 

• 2 years later...

I recently graduated in May 2016 and haven't really seen a patient in 5 months (last rotation was surgery, and was mainly in OR and did not have to do oral presentations).

My first (current) job is EM in a level 1 trauma at a busy hospital in the city. I just finished my 3rd shift (training shift - where I work as an extra PA, so I can begin to establish how to take care of patients and work the EMR system).

I have to say I am completely drowning. I feel like I don't know much. In a 12 hour shift, the most patients I've had is 11, but I'm hopefully working my way up. Last night was a disaster - there were so many trauma's (MVCs) that they put me into a trauma patients because the attendings were swamped - and I felt like a fish on dry land. I was running back and forth, trying to juggle my parent's and it was A LOT to handle.  --> good thing is I get to present every patient to the attending and the attending sees my patient as well. 

I try to study when I have a day off, or during work if it's not too busy. But there's so much information to know! I'm trying to tell myself it'll get better and I pray I see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

I also don't have my DEA and CS so I have to ask the attending or PA on my shift to help me put medications in, which is annoying if its busy, but I'm looking it as a blessing in disguise as I can see how many dosages or other medication my attending wants to give. 

Archived