Class of 2014!

How is it going everyone? Congrats to everyone who got in. I can't wait to meet all of you this upcoming year. I have one question for all of you. Has anyone received the orientation packet yet? I am patiently waiting and curious to know if anyone has heard anything from the program since the acceptance letter.

Eric

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Eric,

I have not received a packet yet. In n earlier post somone mentioned that in the last week of May they would be sent out. All we can do is cross our fingers! There are some "flow sheet" updates as to the time line of events on the MVC.edu pa program page. The application has also been updated for direct type input which leads me to believe that they are working hard on updates to the program! I am very excited for our class!

Hello Class of 2014! Congrats. My name is Joann from the 2013 class. I want to let you all know that I have a brand new white lab coat womens. It is an excellent quality coat; META brand. It even has pockets insde plus a key holder. Trust me, you will want the extra pockets. It would fit a size 7-9 female perfectly. Let me know if you are interested. I paid 35 for it. I will sell for 25. It is still in package. Your welcome to try on first. email me at jenderica@student.rcc.edu Also, any questions, please feel free to email me or post here.

I hope everyone had enjoyed their 3 day weekend, so I checked my mail from saturday & the only I had was credit card offers & coupons. Nothing from rcc. Anyone else received anything yet? Seeing as how MUSCILV said the secretary told him packets will go out by the last week of May, I'm hoping that tuesday or wednesday will be the day they get sent out. I know they are & have been very busy but it seems to me like we are cutting it close & getting down to the wire. I want to have as much time as possible to get anything and everything taken care of. I'm going to schedule a meeting with financial aid pretty soon.

Also, pam - our anyone else that knows - my health insurance was just recently cancelled bc I am no longer eligible for coverage on my mothers plan. That being said, does anyone know of a cheap way to get all of my health verification stuff done? Does rcc offer vaccinations, etc..? Does anyone have any advice on what to do to save money? I would imagine that trying to get as much done as possible on each visit would help so I have less doctor visit fees. Thanks in advance for any help/advice - Brian.

RCC does offer the vaccinations and titers, but not extremely cheap. I posted a link on this thread recently to the health services office. It's http://www.rccd.edu/services/health/Pages/immunizations.aspx . You might also call the county health department; they have a max you have to pay no matter how many shots you need: http://www.rivcoimm.org/ I don't think they do titers though.

As far as financial aid, make sure you get your FAFSA filled out, and include the MVC code when you do. And regarding the health insurance, at some time it had been required, but some members of our class signed a waiver last year, I think, to excuse them from the health insurance requirement.

BTW, our finals week for spring is coming up June 5-7. Summer session starts June 11th. That means the staff are probably in a rush to get some things graded and all. So if you are going to contact them, I'd advise waiting till that week of June 11th.

You will have plenty of time to get everything done. Yes, we had a meeting in May last year, but I didn't start doing some of my vaccinations/titers etc until late June/ July. Same with some of the other requirements. You guys will be fine.

Hello PA-Students,

Since we are still waiting for the fall orientation, here is my suggestions:

1) Applied for FAFSA (deadline is March 2nd, but you can still apply): http://www.fafsa.ed.gov

2) Applied for the RCC admission via http://www.cccapply.org

3) RCC admission will send you the following: Student ID, WebAdvisor ID, RCC email ID

4) Registered the WebAdvisor and RCC email account

5) If you qualify for financial aids: start to apply for the RCC debit card

6) Access your WebAdvisor website for missing documents, financial aid award letter, etc

7) Setup your RCC email account linked to your personal email account: ipad, iphone, etc

Hello PA-Students,

Since we are still waiting for the fall orientation, here is my suggestions:

1) Applied for FAFSA (deadline is March 2nd, but you can still apply): www.fafsa.ed.gov

2) Applied for the RCC admission via www.cccapply.org

3) RCC admission will send you the following: Student ID, WebAdvisor ID, RCC email ID

4) Registered the WebAdvisor and RCC email account

5) If you qualify for financial aids: start to apply for the RCC debit card

6) Access your WebAdvisor website for missing documents, financial aid award letter, etc

7) Setup your RCC email account linked to your personal email account: ipad, iphone, etc

Be careful of doing things early. Last year my financial aid was delayed. I had done my fafsa early, which is okay, but I had also done all the rest of the financial aid stuff including master promissory note for loans, etc (because the loan company was urging me to get things done), and my loans weren't showing up on my "financial aid award letter" on webadvisor in the fall. I asked what was going on (because it only showed the BOG waiver), and was told I had done things too early and all that stuff had been thrown into the PREVIOUS year's financial aid (even though I wasn't even in school the previous year!) It essentially just disappeared! Why that mattered, I do not know. And maybe they fixed the problem, but just beware. I didn't get my loans until November. Anyway, watch that "financial aid award letter" on webadvisor.... if it only shows the BOG and not your loans, there is a problem. Here are the financial aid deadlines: http://mvc.edu/files/SFS-DisbursementSchedule-1213.pdf

Long Rant:

Thanks for the update. Is anyone getting financial aid? This is my first time running through this process so please correct me if I am wrong.

From what I understand, First Complete FAFSA, turn in all documents that are asked for by financial aid, and then you receive your "tentative" financial aid award letter. Mine only awarded me the BOG so far. I am assuming they award grants when they know their budget at the begging of the semester, and this is also when you receive your actual award letter.

Second, during the first week of school you can request a loan packet. This seems kind of late to get a loan started and gives me the hibby jibbys.

I was given a "budgeted amount" the amount financial aid feels I need for the year. From my understanding, Is this the total amount I will be able to get form my financial aid including loans, grants, BOG?

I would like to start a loan at a bank now as back up finances in case anything with financial aid falls through. They mentioned they don't approve outside loans? I am lost what is everyone else doing?

To The Point:

If I get a loan from a bank now because I do not want to wait until I am in class to find out if I have funding for the year (so far I am looking at Wells Fargo) will this jeopardize the following?

1) loans I get through financial office which might be at better rates and cheaper to borrow than outside loans from lets say Wells Fargo

2) Grants

Long Rant:

Thanks for the update. Is anyone getting financial aid? This is my first time running through this process so please correct me if I am wrong.

From what I understand, First Complete FAFSA, turn in all documents that are asked for by financial aid, and then you receive your "tentative" financial aid award letter. Mine only awarded me the BOG so far. I am assuming they award grants when they know their budget at the begging of the semester, and this is also when you receive your actual award letter.

Second, during the first week of school you can request a loan packet. This seems kind of late to get a loan started and gives me the hibby jibbys.

I was given a "budgeted amount" the amount financial aid feels I need for the year. From my understanding, Is this the total amount I will be able to get form my financial aid including loans, grants, BOG?

I would like to start a loan at a bank now as back up finances in case anything with financial aid falls through. They mentioned they don't approve outside loans? I am lost what is everyone else doing?

To The Point:

If I get a loan from a bank now because I do not want to wait until I am in class to find out if I have funding for the year (so far I am looking at Wells Fargo) will this jeopardize the following?

1) loans I get through financial office which might be at better rates and cheaper to borrow than outside loans from lets say Wells Fargo

2) Grants

Long Rant:

To The Point:

2) Grants

One point... make sure you check the webadvisor for "required documents by year". If you have some required and don't do them, it can delay your financial aid.

If you have questions about financial aid, the financial aid person the PA students talk to is Melissa Contreras. You can email her at melissa.contreras@mvc.edu , and put "PA student" in your heading. She will answer any questions you have in a pretty timely manner.

One point... make sure you check the webadvisor for "required documents by year". If you have some required and don't do them, it can delay your financial aid.

If you have questions about financial aid, the financial aid person the PA students talk to is Melissa Contreras. You can email her at melissa.contreras@mvc.edu , and put "PA student" in your heading. She will answer any questions you have in a pretty timely manner.

BTW, we are working on getting together a class picnic. We were going to send out invites as soon as we picked a date, but some security guidelines keep us from getting emails of your class, so we will see if we can get invites sent from the program and do it that way. We are looking at sometime in July, likely a Saturday or Sunday. Anyway, we haven't forgotten about you guys. Feel free to ask questions if there is anything we can answer.

BTW, we are working on getting together a class picnic. We were going to send out invites as soon as we picked a date, but some security guidelines keep us from getting emails of your class, so we will see if we can get invites sent from the program and do it that way. We are looking at sometime in July, likely a Saturday or Sunday. Anyway, we haven't forgotten about you guys. Feel free to ask questions if there is anything we can answer.

Hello all,

does anyone know if we can just walk into the financial aid office to meet with a financial aid counselor or do we need have an appointment? I've tried calling the FA office and have emailed Melissa Contreras, but so far have not had any luck getting any response.

thanks in advance,

Minh (Claire) Nguyen

Hello all,

does anyone know if we can just walk into the financial aid office to meet with a financial aid counselor or do we need have an appointment? I've tried calling the FA office and have emailed Melissa Contreras, but so far have not had any luck getting any response.

thanks in advance,

Minh (Claire) Nguyen

Archived