Class of 2014!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! Hello!

I was accepted yesterday! I look forward to meeting all of you. I know of some 4 bedroom 3bath houses in Perris for around 1200. There are a few on my block. Its 6 miles from school and its not really walking distance. You could probably bike there but at night after class I can imagine it would be quite a drag.

Congratulations!

Several of my class live in Perris. It tends to be a bit cheaper than Moreno, even though it is a little farther away from the school. Odd story how I made arrangements. I put an add on Craigslist that I was a PA student looking to rent a room.... no parties, no drugs, etc. I also looked at some of the advertisements listed there. I went a viewed a couple of places but didn't feel safe. Finally, a guy contacted me... said he was an assistant professor at the college and his mom had a room to rent out to the right person. We met, it worked, and I ended up renting a bedroom for $300 a month, all utilities included (including cable, internet, laundry, etc). Sure, it's a small space, but I feel safe living with an older couple, and it's cheap.

Hope plans work out easily for you all!

Hello! Hello!

I was accepted yesterday! I look forward to meeting all of you. I know of some 4 bedroom 3bath houses in Perris for around 1200. There are a few on my block. Its 6 miles from school and its not really walking distance. You could probably bike there but at night after class I can imagine it would be quite a drag.

hey congrats launch brick!

Glad to hear the good news! Thats awesome. So did you get like an alternate position before that turned out to be accepted into the program? What day was your letter dated? I'm happy for you, I bet that made your day! Congrats again.

Congrats to all my fellow 2014 classmates. I look forward to meeting each one of you. It's been a long journey for many of us. I have to admit, I'm excited, a little nervous, and ready to get things started (well maybe after a nice summer vacation) haha. For those looking for roommates, I'm definitely interested. Feel free to send me a personal message, I will be more than happy to exchange info with you. See you at the orientation!

Osman

I am curious what everyone is doing in preparation for the program. What are you guys up to? I have been cleaning a spare bedroom and painting it white (originally pink and purple) in order to set up a study room. Also, I am working on building a treadmill desk so I can walk and study (read) after class or in the morning. Has anyone looked into student loans?

I started looking into loans. According to the financial aid office we are only eligible for ~$10,500/year, well at least for me. Community colleges don't certify federal private loans. Since I'm not perusing a BS or MS I can't apply for Plus Loans. So right now I'm researching scholarships and grants.

I'm gonna start reviewing physiology and major dx.

I am going to try and enjoy my summer with my family and finish up small home projects before school starts. Cuz if this program is anything like PT school, I'm expecting a lot of alone time away from family.

I'm pretty much going to be doing the same thing as "erptacmtkrazso" and first of all enjoy my summer and take a few small vacations (yosemite & my parents have a condo in San Diego so I am going to try and spend a few weekends down there while I can. Other than that I am going to work as much as possible and save up some money while I'm in school because it may be tough with only my wife supporting us these next 2 years. Study-wise, I'm going to brush up on A&P and review a little micro then start getting into major diagnoses as well. As for being as intense as PT school, I think this program is going to be that and some so be prepared to have NO LIFE. Lol.

Has anyone heard anything about the use of computers in class? Traditional texts vs. digital? I would like to purchase a new computer while I am still at my current job (corporate discount). Do we use any tech during clinical rotations the second year for tracking patients or anything else? If we do, I would take this into consideration for my computer choice. Right now I have a 2-3 year old Acer net book with Intel Atom processor. I am thinking of upgrading to a lap top touch screen you can use like a tablet also. I figure the tablet feature will be nice the second year during clinical rotations. Any thoughts?

Supposedly, in some years past, laptops weren't allowed because people weren't paying attention. Our class has been allowed to have them because they notice most of us actually use them to take notes. I think they see the need for them.. I definitely cannot write as fast as I can type. Some of the class use laptops, others use a pad. I have a big laptop (17 inch) and am considering getting a 7 inch pad for my lab coat for next clinical year.... that way I can use it for epocrates, micromedex, etc, but also can work on some of my classwork during downtime (I will be working on the Master's from St. Francis at that point as well.)

As far as texts, I think most of us have the regular paper versions. A couple have anatomy copies on digital on their pads or laptops, but most of our books are paper. Not sure if some of them are even offered in digital.

And you will have a lot of texts. On days when you need a bunch of them, many of us have bought rolling carriers. Crates are okay but not good in the rain (and mine broke within 2 days). A friend and I bought this carrier from office depot: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/410409/Ativa-Mobil-IT-Ultimate-Workmate-14/

Thank you for the info. It's kind of funny, I can not wait to buy a luggage case for all my text books :). I am looking at this computer:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X220_TABLET_SSD_SAP&category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

Its a lenovo lap top with a screen that swivels so you can use it like a tablet. I get a good corporate discount and they have a sale that ends on the 16th. Do you see them not allowing computers?

Thank you for the info. It's kind of funny, I can not wait to buy a luggage case for all my text books :). I am looking at this computer:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X220_TABLET_SSD_SAP&category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

Its a lenovo lap top with a screen that swivels so you can use it like a tablet. I get a good corporate discount and they have a sale that ends on the 16th. Do you see them not allowing computers?

Obviously I can't really say, but I think they see that we used them effectively for the most part, so I hope they pass on the benefit to you guys as well.

Heh, I can't even remember all the books we've had. One for derm, labs, pharm, psych, anatomy, community health, orthopedics, a symptom-to-diagnosis book, a common symptom guide, a medical dictionary, Bates, Harrisons, genetics, death and dying, ... I'm probably forgetting some. And summer we need one for nutrition, ob/gyn, peds, surgery, clinical skills, legal issues, ER. Not sure beyond that. Yeah, it's a lot of books. Then some of us bought extras.... Current's medical diagnosis, Boards and Wards, USMLE study guides, PANCE study guides, etc. Yeah, there's a lot, but it builds your library for reference later on. You will get a booklist. They may change some of yours, so I can't tell you what you need. There will be some equipment, too... stethoscope with peds attachment, 3 cuff BP set, diagnostic set with ophthalmoscope etc, short white coats, some odds and ends like rulers that start with the end right at zero, measuring tape, tuning forks, etc. Welch Allyn will come to the school and show you their stuff pretty early on... you can then buy equipment from them at a student discount, to be delivered to you within a couple of weeks. I was lucky and my previous boss bought my otoscope/opthalmoscope kit as a going away present through the medical store they use. http://www.steeles.com has some of the equipment at almost the same cost if you want to get an idea of what you are looking at. They will tell you everything at orientation, though.

Well, I asked a couple of weeks ago about getting the class of 2014 names so I could start planning the picnic, and was told they were still waiting on a few acceptance letters at that time. Obviously, if any of the first selected group didn't accept, they had to send out new ones to alternates, so that's probably who they were waiting on. Anyway, try to be patient. Our orientation last year was near the first part of May, but we have had a lot of things happen this year with the accreditation, new program director, etc. Don't worry, you will have time to get done what you need to. I can tell you, if you haven't had the Hep B series, you can get started on that. Just make sure you get documentation of it so you can put it on your healthcare form later. And if you haven't had the tetanus that includes pertussis, you will need that one too... (Tdap). Then again, if you think you might need several injections, you might want to wait. I know some health departments have a max amount they make you pay, no matter what all shots you need. You can also get shots at the campus student health department. I think they also do PPDs and maybe physicals. http://www.rccd.edu/services/health/Pages/immunizations.aspx Wait on titers for now, so you know you get the right ones ordered. Wait on the PPD and physical as well. Beyond that, I'm not sure there is anything else you could really do at this time.

Good Morning,

I spoke with the RCC-PA secretary this morning and she informed me that they are still working on putting together the orientation packets. She stated that the program expects to have packets in the mail heading our direct no later than the last week of May.

I would suspect that this means there will not be a lot time between orientation and the start of class. So if you have financial aid questions I would suggest setting up an appointment with a financial aid advisor sooner than later.

v/r

Luke Musci

Archived