how are W's looked at?

I am interested in applying for Westerns PA program. However due to several personal issues I was going through I have 5 Ws on my transcript with 2 of them being in chemistry 10. I was finally able to take it again at another community college and got an A. How will this effect me when I apply?

I am interested in applying for Westerns PA program. However due to several personal issues I was going through I have 5 Ws on my transcript with 2 of them being in chemistry 10. I was finally able to take it again at another community college and got an A. How will this effect me when I apply?

• 1 year later...

Put it this way - you are on the admissions committee and you have to decide between two candidates. One has a decent academic record and one has a decent academic record with five withdrawals. Which candidate is a lower risk for attrition for your program?

I don't mean to be harsh, but realistic. It is not only a matter of what the program wants. It is also a matter of the quality of the other 10 (or more) applicants who are trying to get into the seat you want. Most applicants for PA school would be fairly competitive applicants for med school.

I agree with CJ. It will be noticed and if granted an interview, it will most likely come up. As a program director, I'd be concerned. Will you keep up or would you be $30,000 in debt when dropped from the program without an opportunity to return. That is a disservice to you and a seat lost to someone else. Apply but be prepared to sell why history won't repeat itself. Good luck.

• Administrator
Would 1 or 2 W's, in one semester say, as an isolated incident, be a topic to address or need to defend? Would something like that come up or is it more of a pattern that would be concerning?

I would always recommend address the weakest semester or year of your academic career in your personal statement. Why did it happen, what did you learn, how did you grow?

• 6 months later...

Archived