interested in applying to Western PA Program

Hi :)

I am currently studying to apply to Western University's PA program. I am going to transfer to CSUN in Fall to get my bachelors degree is Sociology and I am also taking the classes required to apply to the PA program. I am also shadowing 2 PA's in different fields to gain experience.

I need advice about what more I can do to make my application competitive?? What extra classes or programs can I join? Is shadowing enough?

I will greatly appreciate your responses :)

WesternU definitely values a history of volunteering... not necessarily just in the healthcare industry... but in general. I would suggest getting involved in your community/college on campus with any volunteer opportunities possible. If you can get into a leadership spot even better. I volunteered for a few years as a small group leader at a local high school ministry. My university also offered medical service trips to Mexico which I was fortunate enough to take part in. These experiences matured me as a person and I believe really bolstered my application when it came to Western. The class GPA is also getting higher and higher each year.... so make sure you give your science classes the respect they deserve so you don't end up regretting it later!! :)

And not to knock sociology as a major at all... I happened to love the couple of soc classes I had to take! I know that some people get a non-science major alongside taking the prereq's... But with Micro and Genetics being required... I'm pretty sure to get into those two classes you would need a full year of Gen Bio? So those 4 classes add up to 16 units alone... plus the full year of Gen Chem required... that's another 8 units at least. Throw in 8 more units for Phys and Anatomy... that's a total of 32 units needed outside of your major!! That's a lot considering you can really only fit so many lab science classes in per semester. Just something to think about in your planning.

Shadowing is an awesome way to see if the field is right for you. Plus it gives you some substance and some stories to take to your interview when the times comes to show you know what you're getting yourself into! They really want to know you've done your research... on the profession and on the school. Get involved with CAPA if you can. I signed up as an associate member to receive the quarterly newsletters. It was a great way to find out what was going on in the industry.. (plus another resource I could draw from in my interview!).

I JUST got accepted into the Class of 2014. So when I start school I can give you some actual insight into the program!!! Best of luck. And I think most importantly... have fun with the journey. The application process alone is a long ordeal... but really worth it if it's the right path for you.

http://www.capanet.org/join/membership-dues/

I misspoke too... It's affiliate member as a prePA. I broke my annual dues into quarterly payments which made it a bit easier to swallow. I'd say it was worth it. You can also see what types of jobs are being posted and where, etc. The newsletter keeps you posted on various laws and regulations, some articles are written by faculty members of Western and other programs and there's also a student section.

And not to knock sociology as a major at all... I happened to love the couple of soc classes I had to take! I know that some people get a non-science major alongside taking the prereq's... But with Micro and Genetics being required... I'm pretty sure to get into those two classes you would need a full year of Gen Bio? So those 4 classes add up to 16 units alone... plus the full year of Gen Chem required... that's another 8 units at least. Throw in 8 more units for Phys and Anatomy... that's a total of 32 units needed outside of your major!! That's a lot considering you can really only fit so many lab science classes in per semester. Just something to think about in your planning.

I recently graduated from CSUN and I can give you some insight. CSUN is in bad shape right now with the budget situation. It is going to be very difficult for you to get the courses you need for your degree as it is, let alone extra courses for the PA program. They have recently lowered the maximum unit limit from 19 units to only 15 units. This will make it much harder to take extra courses on top of your required courses for graduation. It will take at least 1 extra semester from whatever you were planning. Due to the budget situation, they are not offering as many courses either. Micro and Genetics are impacted. There must have been about 60 students trying to add the course on the first day of genetics when I took it. Anyways, as a transfer student you do get good priority registartion, but they limit it to 12 units only. Once open registration begins for all students, you can add that last three units for a total of 15 units.. By that time, I can guarantee the courses you need for PA are going to be full.

Something to think about with your major being a non-science major. Most people who apply to PA with non-science degrees are people who came back to school and took the required science courses after obtaining their degree. You should reconsider your degree choice if you are planning on PA.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I have a question ... I have recently been accepted to WesternU and Midwestern University, and I am torn. If anyone has advice on which school would provide a better education, please let me know! I know that US World News and Report has ranked Midwestern substantially higher, but I would appreciate more insight if anyone can help. Thanks!

And to answer your question, Rosemary ...

I would suggest making yourself known at Western University over the next few years if you are serious about getting in. Take a tour, go to info sessions, and sit in on classes...everything you participate in on campus gets put in your file, and it will show the interview committee that you are serious about becoming a pa, and serious about attending Western. I would also suggest that you get involved in some kind of community service, and join CAPA or AAPA (and read their newsletters!). They want to know that you are committed to the medically underserved and that you know what issues are facing the profession -- they will want you to talk about both in the interview. If you call the director, Roy Guizado, he will talk to you and let you know what areas you need work on.

I recently interviewed at both Western and MWU, and I hope I am lucky enough to have a choice like you! I personally really liked both schools and could see myself going to either one--they have similarities in their class size, being small health professional universities, etc. If you felt comfortable at both, I would compare things like cost of attendance, cost of living, and some of the nitty gritty details like those. Either one will give you a good education and foundation to be a strong PA. There are a lot of good threads on here where some people advise not to follow the rankings exactly, and some people feel differently. In the end I would just go with your gut, and congrats on having options!

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I have a question ... I have recently been accepted to WesternU and Midwestern University, and I am torn. If anyone has advice on which school would provide a better education, please let me know! I know that US World News and Report has ranked Midwestern substantially higher, but I would appreciate more insight if anyone can help. Thanks!

I would suggest making yourself known at Western University over the next few years if you are serious about getting in. Take a tour, go to info sessions, and sit in on classes...everything you participate in on campus gets put in your file, and it will show the interview committee that you are serious about becoming a pa, and serious about attending Western. I would also suggest that you get involved in some kind of community service, and join CAPA or AAPA (and read their newsletters!). They want to know that you are committed to the medically underserved and that you know what issues are facing the profession -- they will want you to talk about both in the interview. If you call the director, Roy Guizado, he will talk to you and let you know what areas you need work on.

Completely agree with everything Jkarnosk mentioned. Make connections to show that you are interested, and they will be on the lookout for your app!

Jakarnosk, congrats!! when did you interview for Midwestern? I got into Western and interviewed at Midwestern early February but I got wait listed there (Maybe because I interviewed so late in the process). I would be torn too with your options! When I interviewed at Western, I absolutely loved it there, I liked the program, atmosphere, and I have friends there and they have said great things about Western. Then I went to Midwestern, and to tell you the truth, I liked it so much more than Western. They are ranked high, so you know you will be getting a great education, and they also have an awesome NEW facility. I was so amazed when they gave us the tour!

I already accepted my seat at Western, but for me, I would choose Western over Midwestern if I got into both because I feel like it really comes down to where I want to be afterwards. I currently live close to Western, and I eventually want to be working in California after I graduate. Therefore, I need to be making my connections in California, which can be through rotations and this is most likely going to happen if I am going to PA school in California. Also, A couple PA's have told me it really doesn't matter where you go to school because at either school, you're going to become a PA. The only difference is the connections you make and the access to certain rotations. So just think about what you want to do as a PA and where you want to be that will enable that. That's my take on it, I hope it helps!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your responses.

I am currently taking the classes required for the PA program along with my sociology classes so thats not a problem for me. I was just wondering if they would look down on me when I am applying and during my interview for having a non-science major?

I am also shadowing a PA right now but I heard that health care experience is valued more. What is considered as HCE? And what other programs and extra classes can I take to strengthen my application?

Hello Everyone,

Hi, im actually going to do a sit in this coming week. how was your class visit experience like, do you just listen to the lecture and that's it? can i introduce myself to the professor before class start just to let him/her know? thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi David! Good ... Sitting in on a class is a good move. I believe I got a 580 on the verbal section, a 740 on the quantitative section, and a 4 for analytical writing.

wow mann, so right after i left the class from the sit-in. i went home to check my email and saw a rejection letter from western. i guess it's because i haven't even interview yet and i talked to some students that they and they said THAT day was the last of interview. do you think that's why?

Hey David89,

Sorry to hear :( I know how it feels. Same thing happened to me. Can I ask if you were on the alternate or waitlist before you were declined?

the sad thing is that i didn't even get an interview. i thought if i do a sit-in, they might give me an interview or something. but got home to a rejection email. caught me off guard too....you did a sit-in too?

the sad thing is that i didn't even get an interview. i thought if i do a sit-in, they might give me an interview or something. but got home to a rejection email. caught me off guard too....you did a sit-in too?

This is actually my second year applying. So I know the feeling of rejection unfortunately. Yes I did do a sit-in and went to their Preview Day. I'm on the alternate list this year so my fingers are crossed. Don't give up. I know I won't because I know this is the profession I want to go into after all my research and experience. Anyways good luck with your future endeavors!

This is actually my second year applying. So I know the feeling of rejection unfortunately. Yes I did do a sit-in and went to their Preview Day. I'm on the alternate list this year so my fingers are crossed. Don't give up. I know I won't because I know this is the profession I want to go into after all my research and experience. Anyways good luck with your future endeavors!

so did you do the sit-in and then found out you got rejected on the same day? or you found out you got rejected days after your sit-in?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Like those who have posted before me, I too went to Preview Day and did a sit-in, I have a considerable amount of both community service and health care experience (working and volunteering) and although my major is not in the science field my post bacc science GPA was 3.8. I was rejected without an invitation. I was wondering if someone who perhaps was in the same boat and got accepted the second time around could give me some advice in terms of what I should focus on improving for the next application?

• 1 month later...

Archived