Anyone know any PA's working on an H-1 Visa (Worker Visa) ?

Hi,

I am an international student who is accepted at both PA school and Med School. I am hearing several cases of doctors working on H-1 Worker Visas, yet I have never heard of any PAs on these visas. I am much more inclined to pursue PA school honestly, although how likely would it be for a non-US citizen or resident to find a job in the US that sponsors an H-1 Visa. If you know someone on such a visa, or had been employed on this visa in the past, I would really be grateful if you could help me out in figuring this out or help me in contacting them. Once again thanks for your help.

Hi,

...although how likely would it be for a non-US citizen or resident to find a job in the US that sponsors an H-1 Visa.

That would depend on where you are trained. In order to practice in the US, you must attend PA school in the US to qualify for the PANCE. Attending in England, Australia, etc. won't qualify for the PANCE.

That would depend on where you are trained. In order to practice in the US, you must attend PA school in the US to qualify for the PANCE. Attending in England, Australia, etc. won't qualify for the PANCE.

Sorry for the confusion, although I would be attending PA school in the US. I'm an international student based on citizenship, although, I live in US and would attend PA school here.

-Thanks.

Even if you live and attend school in the US, I think you will be hard pressed to find an employer who will sponsor you for an H-1. It may still be possible, but you're going to have to convince an employer that you are truly exemplary and worth their effort and $ to sponsor you. They may even ask you to cover the costs. And if you change jobs I think you have to apply again because the visa is employer specific. It's a lot of headache.

I was not able to find an employer to sponsor me for an H-1 in my pre PA life where I was an occupational therapist. The only thing that saved me was my ability to get a different type of visa - a TN - only available to professionals from North America. Now I have a green card, and that simplifies things considerably. But, I certainly didn't get my green card through an employer. I have my husband to thank for that.

Good luck

I work under an H1B. No problem acquiring it or getting a sponsoring employer. I took the lead on finding out the details, hiring a legal rep, and handling most of the paperwork. Major centers associated with medical schools or groups that are hiring for specialty practice seem like good bets. Best if you have a masters degree from PA school in the USA.

thanks for your replies guys. I guess I'll be going into PA school knowing the risks and hopefully thatll hepl me be better prepared when it comes time to be job hunting. Eitherway, I think I'm going to go for it.

Btw, Archerry, you have PM!

• 1 month later...

Hi archerry and PAinNJ,

I have the exact same delimma, I am wondering if I would get a work visa ( H1B) once I finish a Masters in Physician Assistant program from USA. And of course, I am a non US citizen.

Archerry, can you give me some guidance on how you applied for H1 visa and what difficulties you faced in the process? Really need some guidance as this information would guide me whether or not to go for the PA program in the first place.

The biggest issue is not not eligibility, but rather timing. H1B are subject to a quota and are applied for in April with start dates in Oct of the same year. Also, you most likely need to graduate first so that you have your degree for the application. i already had a H1B from a device company, so for me the second H1B was a non-quota visa. I graduated, passed my certs, and obtained my license and paid for premium processing (an extra $1000) - got my 2nd visa within 2 weeks of applying. The economy has been in a downturn, so there are more H1B spots available and more room in the quota, but in previous years these quotas have been maxed out within weeks of the opening of the application dates in April. There is a lot of information on this on the net. I used VisaPro.

What you can also look into is OPT (Optional Practical Training). After you graduate you are able to work for up to a year (maybe even longer now, I think) within your area of graduation. It has been a while since I did it but I believe you apply for it (through your schools international office) 3 months prior to graduation. Look into it and I believe it is a lot cheaper than the H-1 visa. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Archerry, did your H1-B application get approved right away? I'm currently on OPT which expires in a few months. My current employer is willing to sponsor me for H1-B. My immigration lawyer states its going to be difficult to get the H1-B not due to cap issues, but because its been rejected as a specialty profession by the USCIS. Did you have any experience with this?

From the wiki link provided further up this chain:

"The regulations define a “specialty occupation” as requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor including, but not limited to, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, biotechnology, medicine and health, education, law, accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts, and requiring the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum."

So long as the employer's job description requires a Bachelor's or, even better due to the expanded quota pool, a Master's degree, PA is definately considered a specialty occupation for an H1B. A PA would not qualify under a TN visa, which is a quick & easy-to-get Free-Trade visa, but has a specific and limited "specialty occupation" list that does not include "PA" or many other specialty occupations that otherwise qualify for an H1B.

See emails above in regards to the timing of H1B filings and approvals. The wiki link above is very comprehensive, as are many internet websites. If the timing is not working out because the year's quotas are exhausted, then you have two choices 1) file in April of next year's quota pool for an October 2011 start or, since the former may not work for you, 2) apply for a job with a quota-exempt employeer - non-profits and university affiliate hospitals. If the quota is still open or if you are applying for a quota-exempt job and pay $1000 for premium processing, you can get the visa within 2 weeks of sending in your application and $$$.

For me, my second concurrent H1B was obtained quickly because it was quota-exempt as I already carry another H1B that was subject to the quota - I don't think this applies to you.

Thanks for the response Archerry. Everything you said is very true. The only snag is that in the US occupation handbook the level of education required for PAs it lists the associates degree as an option which lowers the specialty designation of the PA. I have since switched to a lawyer with experience in getting H1-B's for PA's, and he thinks the outlook will be good. I will go ahead and get the expedited service like you suggested, although I am waiting for the visa screen from CGFNS still! Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
I work under an H1B. No problem acquiring it or getting a sponsoring employer. I took the lead on finding out the details, hiring a legal rep, and handling most of the paperwork. Major centers associated with medical schools or groups that are hiring for specialty practice seem like good bets. Best if you have a masters degree from PA school in the USA.

Hi Archerry,

I know this thread is a couple of years old but I hope you will see this message and be able to help. I graduated from the PA program at Yale in the US in dec 2012. I moved to Canada after since I am a Canadian resident. The PA profession is new here and there aren't enough jobs. I'm looking to move back to the US and have started looking at the rules for H-1 visa. Since you have first hand experience, can you tell me what information and documents you have to present to the employer to get them to sponsor the visa? Also, are you aware of specific institutions/hospitals that sponsor work visas more readily? And how long does the process take? I would greatly appreciate your help! thanks..

Archived