Low GRE Score

So, I retook the GRE and received a 294. Improved a lot from the first time around, but I'm just not a great standardized test taker. I don't want to retake it again because I'm not sure I will improve enough for what PA schools see as "average" (my stamina is diminishing), but I would love some input on what I should do.

My GPA, HCE, extracurriculars, etc are pretty good, so I'm hoping that will outweigh my score.

So, I retook the GRE and received a 294. Improved a lot from the first time around, but I'm just not a great standardized test taker. I don't want to retake it again because I'm not sure I will improve enough for what PA schools see as "average" (my stamina is diminishing), but I would love some input on what I should do.

My GPA, HCE, extracurriculars, etc are pretty good, so I'm hoping that will outweigh my score.

I would usually recommend retaking it and getting over a 50% percentile in each category but since it's so late in the cycle it would probably be better not to. Apply to programs that either don't put a lot of emphasis on the GRE or don't require it at all. Just be sure that your scores don't fall under the minimum for the schools you do apply to that do require the GRE. You are going to have to do a little research for each program you are interested in. If your other stats are "pretty good" as you state then you should be okay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It is hard to give you advice with such little information about the rest of your application. It sounds like you have come to the decision not to retake and that's fine. As said above it would be wise of you to apply to programs that do not require/emphasize the GRE. Hopefully your GPA can outweigh your lower GRE score. Best of luck to you!

Being above the 50% is more of a safe zone but not a restriction for a lot of schools. If your other stats are good, then if you got like 48% or something close to 50% it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I understand it's late to retake it because you'd have to wait 21 days before you could even do so. I would definitely get your application out as soon as possible because invites are going out already for some schools. If you are chosen for an interview, then your GRE scores probably wouldn't even matter at that point, just your awesome personality and motivations for being a PA/interest in attending that school. Best of luck!

Archived