New Grad Surgical Position

I will be graduating soon and am so excited about starting my PA career!

I was recently offered a position with a large surgical practice in a major city, but I feel as though the salary is rather low, especially since I am expected to work 60+ hours/week, plus 6 on-call shifts/month. May I have some insight as to what a surgical PA should expect to be compensated? 

Also, the group operates out of 3 hospitals. Is it fair to ask to be compensated for travel expenses? 

The group offered:

$95k/year with possible 3% increase after annual evaluations 

3 weeks paid vacation

1 week paid CME time off with $1000 towards CMEs

"Standard sick days" (not sure what that means)

Medical/Dental insurance

Licence and malpractice fees

Hours M-F 0700-1700ish

On-call one night/week, plus one weekend/month

1 day/week in clinic and 4 days in the OR

I will be graduating soon and am so excited about starting my PA career!

I was recently offered a position with a large surgical practice in a major city, but I feel as though the salary is rather low, especially since I am expected to work 60+ hours/week, plus 6 on-call shifts/month. May I have some insight as to what a surgical PA should expect to be compensated? 

Also, the group operates out of 3 hospitals. Is it fair to ask to be compensated for travel expenses? 

The group offered:

$95k/year with possible 3% increase after annual evaluations 

3 weeks paid vacation

1 week paid CME time off with $1000 towards CMEs

"Standard sick days" (not sure what that means)

Medical/Dental insurance

Licence and malpractice fees

Hours M-F 0700-1700ish

On-call one night/week, plus one weekend/month

1 day/week in clinic and 4 days in the OR

Pass. At that salary you would be making ~$30 per hour. If they want you to work one and a half jobs, you should be getting paid hourly. If you work your ass off, then you should be well compensated for it.

this is absurd. 7-5 is 1.2 FTE plus tons of call. I work in gen surgery on the weekends and sometimes that call is nothing for the docs and sometimes they are in the hospital from friday night to monday morning. if you like the group you can counter - they want you to work 10 hour days - then you work 4 days a week. Fair and square. call should be paid separate, rate to carry a pager and rate and minimum hours to come to the hospital as needed. Every one on OR teams work that way - anesthesia, RNs, surg techs and docs know it oh so well. They take weekend call to make more money.

"But you are a provider..." talk does not apply here. we are not compensated half a mil a year to have above hours and lifestyle

• Administrator

You might counter with $40, non-exempt... Surgeons don't like that, but they have to pay everyone ELSE in the office that way...

At that rate, you'd be getting paid 2800 per 60 hour week, which is ~$140,000/year if they use you that much.  Sounds a bit fairer to me.

for comparison sake: new grad surgical specialty here also in major metro area at large hospital, one OR day a week here with no call, no weekends, no holidays. pretty strict 8-8.5 hours/day. more PTO. more CME. basically same salary as you.

• 2 weeks later...

My salary was 95K as a surgical new grad PA in a large major city. However, I usually only work 40-45 hours per week, no weekend/holidays/call, and I get 10% of my collections as a bonus. Bumped me to 100K after a year. CME is 1 week and $2K. 3 weeks PTO. Medical is really expensive though, luckily I'm covered through my wife.

As far as the travel expenses, they should reimburse you if you drive to more than one place. So they won't reimburse you from home to work and vice versa, but they'll reimburse you for any driving you have to do in between at the IRS rate which is like 50 cents a mile. You would need to confirm this with them though.

If they expect you to work such long hours, I'd definitely ask for hourly or a MUCH higher salary.

Sh*t offer. I know this and I'm not even in surgery. This is why I can't ever work a salaried position.

60+ hours work week + call is a major hit on your personal life.

A nurse's hourly rate is likely higher than that. 

3% raise is just standard cost of living increase. 

I'd only take this offer if I thought it would be an amazing learning experience, I'm 24 years old, no wife, and no kids. Even then, I'd stay 1 year at the most. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived