Is It Important To Mention Being a Reapplicant In The Personal Statement?

My advisor has said that it is very important to mention being a reapplicant and what we have done to improve ourselves as a candidate. Beyond gaining more experience at my current job and a some more volunteering, I haven;t done a whole lot though. In honesty, I feel like poor interviewing skills is what held me back, not so much coursework, grades, or experience. That being that case, I have worked to improve on these skills, which in my eyes the most important thing I could have done. All of the grades, experiences, etc. won;t mean much if you interview poorly!

What is your opinion? Thanks!

I was a second time reapplicant the year I got in. I doubled the number of applications I sent in from the first year to the next. This meant I was a first time applicant to half of the schools I was applying to that year. I did not specifically mention anything in my newer personal statement that I was a reapplicant. I figured schools I was reapplying to can very easily look back at my old application and personal statement and just be reading the old and new PS, you could easily see that I had improved, it didn't need to be spelled out. 

That being said, my situation was different from yours since my weaknesses were mostly due to my application and I didn't get a single interview my first year, versus your situation where you got past that and into the interviewing stage.

Also, some secondary applications may have you specifically ask if you are a reapplicant and they might have you write an essay regarding how you have improved. This is where you could have the opportunity to specifically talk about what you did to improve for the schools where you are reapplying.

Overall, I think this is a personal choice to spell out that you are a reapplicant or just simply show how you are a better applicant this year by having a better personal statement/application/interviewing skills etc.

Hopefully this makes sense and is helpful!

I think if it was a specific school you interviewed with and are reapplying to just them, then discussing it with just that one school would be appropriate.  If you are applying to multiple schools, some being first time applicant, then you shouldn't discuss it. 

• Administrator

I think if it was a specific school you interviewed with and are reapplying to just them, then discussing it with just that one school would be appropriate.  If you are applying to multiple schools, some being first time applicant, then you shouldn't discuss it. 

Nope.

Applying a second season, anywhere, shows you're dedicated to the profession and willing to do what it takes to get in.  I know, as someone who got in on the second time around, I was much better at everything related to the application process, as well as having a stronger portfolio.  Second time around means you're hungry, willing to take a shot and get back up.

Archived