Rural Family Medicine offer (New Grad)

Hi all,

Rural primary position seeing 24 patients a day. Cost of living is very low.

112k base

10k signing bonus

5k relocation allowance

18 days PTO

5 days CME w/ 2k

Schedule: M-F 9 - 6 NO call

occurrence policy for malpractice

all fees for licensure covered

9% profit sharing plan

403B 1% matching

Anything I should take into consideration or look out for?

Hi all,

Rural primary position seeing 24 patients a day. Cost of living is very low.

112k base

10k signing bonus

5k relocation allowance

18 days PTO

5 days CME w/ 2k

Schedule: M-F 9 - 6 NO call

occurrence policy for malpractice

all fees for licensure covered

9% profit sharing plan

403B 1% matching

Anything I should take into consideration or look out for?

Good offer except 24 pts/day...even if you worked a true 9-6 that is still a lot of patients in an 8 hour period...1 patient per 20 mins with 1 hour lunch... I have worked in family medicine (private practice) for several years and there is a lot of charting and now MIPS/PQRS measures... the money is good, but the lifestyle/stress might not be worth it...

Good offer except 24 pts/day...even if you worked a true 9-6 that is still a lot of patients in an 8 hour period...1 patient per 20 mins with 1 hour lunch... I have worked in family medicine (private practice) for several years and there is a lot of charting and now MIPS/PQRS measures... the money is good, but the lifestyle/stress might not be worth it...

Totally agree, especially considering that this is rural health and the patients are likely to be fairly complex. I am working in a rural-ish community health center at the moment and seeing around 18-22 in an 8 hour pay period and it can be absolutely exhausting. Maybe this is a bit of burnout speaking, but I think the pressure to do more and see more never decreases. You may only ever 24 patients, but you will eventually be asked to do more with the same amount of time. 

Thank you all for your input. I agree, its going to be tough. I need the loan repayment money and I think it'll be a great chance to learn a lot. I will probably give it a shot and stick out the 2 years for 50k towards my loans.

Look into the 50k loan payment.... In the past few years this has been cut drastically and many places that previously qualified no longer do. And there is no guarantee... there is limited $ and when it's out.... it's out

I work in a rural health clinic and use to see 24-26 pts/day, but cut that down after a year as I was in counseling cause of the stress. I am doing better with 18-20 pts/day. We reapplied for NHSC and there are a lot of changes, so watch out. The clinic will say they are a loan repayment site, but they won't tell you that their HSPA score is 8 or 12 which means you will NEVER get loan repayment. Also, you may think $50K is worth seeing 24 pt/day, but 2 years is a long time and you can't break that contract or you pay the 50K back plus interest. Make sure you truly understand 24 pts/day cause I did it for just over 1 year and it was TERRIBLE! I paper chart at the RHC (which is a lot quicker than my previous job that had EPIC) and I still could not get things done. I was always late and was trying to finish up charts since you won't have time with 24 pts/day. Lastly, think about your staff running crazy and losing some staff members as well as walk in patients which makes you see more in a day...I really am not trying to discourage you, but I literally (last 3-4 months) just went through all this and I know the $$$ is NOT worth your mental health...I promise you that. Good luck in your future endeavors. 

Hmm thats pretty rough. They have a relatively high NHS score (17), so there is a good chance at getting the 50k, but I will definitely have to make sure I enjoy it enough to last 2 years. The 6 or 7 providers I spoke with during the interview had been there for >5 years so I thought that was a good sign. 

That admin time just means they smash all 24 patients into 7 hours and you're way behind all day.

I work in a system with probably 40 providers and not 1 can see that many patients. My SP sees the most of anyone. The most she has seen is a month is 21 on average per day but she's charting Friday nights at midnight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Something tells me she must be a very slow typer if she is charting at midnight after seeing 21 patients. I know its going to be a hectic schedule, but where else can a new grad learn a lot and gross over 120k first year out of school?

I don't mean she charts straight through to midnight. I mean she works from home a lot and she doesn't finish until midnight sometimes. She also gets to work an hour early to do paperwork.

You're right. It's a lot of money.

I am scheduled 21 a day. I usually see about 17 with cancellations. I never work from home and I don't work a minute after 5. If I had to see 24 patients a day, I couldn't do that.

Take the job. You'll have some rough days but you will be prepared to work anywhere afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 6/20/2017 at 8:19 PM, rcardillo said:

Hmm thats pretty rough. They have a relatively high NHS score (17), so there is a good chance at getting the 50k, but I will definitely have to make sure I enjoy it enough to last 2 years. The 6 or 7 providers I spoke with during the interview had been there for >5 years so I thought that was a good sign. 

I think 17 or 18 was the lowest score that NHSC awarded last year. You are certainly still on the bubble of receiving the award or not, esp considering that it sounds like several others receive the scholarship already in the practice. I work somewhere with a score of 15 and no one received the NHSC scholarship. 

Archived