Negotiating a better salary

Yeah thanks got that. That's not what I asked. There isn't anything I can do about what I agreed to last year. I don't really need people to reiterate what I already know...

Yeah... you do...

you aren't going to get to a fair salary from where you are at with your current employer. You should be around $90-100k. There is functionally no chance that they will increase your salary 25-33%. Either you need to talk directly with your SP or you need to apply elsewhere and ask your employer to counter.

They aren't giving you a $25k raise based simply on the mentality they had to begin with.

Good luck

• Administrator

It's a shame, really, because $72k IS a low but reasonable first year salary, but they should be increasing your salary by $13,000/year, not $1300/year, on your first anniversary.  HR people are not evil, but they do think in tiny little boxes and are not used to logarithmic salary increases: Each year after the first, your salary increase should get smaller than the previous year's, since your change in productivity will be smaller as well.  But no, HR doesn't think that way, they're very much thinking linear, "must keep salary in line!" and so promote avoidable provider mobility in the 1-3 year range, when potential salary increases at a new job far outstrip what existing organizations are willing to match in salary increases.

Archived