I need help.

Hello,

I am in my last semester for didactic at PA school and it has been a struggle. Before I came to PA school, I was dealing with major family problems. I entered in PA school dealing with them and they slowly resolved themselves. While I was in school and currently, I sit next to a girl who consistently looks at my grades and computer whenever I take a test or notes. It makes me so anxious and self conscious. She isn't the nicest girl in the class and is extremely competitive. It has added tremendously to my stress. I have talked to my advisors but they told me that I need to change my seat. Well, no one wants to change with me. So I bought a security screen, so she can't see my stuff now but she is still attempting to.

On top of this, my family stuff has come back to the surface again. I have 8 weeks left until clinicals and I am crying everyday. I am constantly anxious and over sensitive to what people say to me. I am a mess. I know that I need to be on some anti-anxiety but I am not sure how to go about asking for this or doing it. I have been to counseling first semester for the same reasons but they just are not resolving. Any advice? I just want to survive these next 8 weeks without blowing grades. And I want to stop crying. 

Thank you in advance,

-Brittany.

Brittany,

I'm sure there is more to this than I can fathom from your note. You've been with these people for a whole year; they know you and you know them. If no one will change seats with you, you are going to have to pay no attention to the nut job who is looking at you taking notes! You are going to be in stressful situations in your life and you will overcome them too. No one can steal your dignity without your permission; don't grant it.

As far as your family stuff goes, you're going to have to deal with that too -- hopefully in 8 weeks if you can. You may very well need some help; your school's counseling center may be a help to link you up with someone locally.

This will not be the most stressful thing you will ever face as a PA or as an adult. Success breeds success; don't let the situation get you to doubt yourself.

Best wishes.

Definitely follow UGoLong's advice.

But because I'm petty I would take the opportunity to call her out perhaps just loud enough for others to hear next time she's creeping on your screen that there's nothing there for her to see.  Gotta learn to stand up for yourself or you'll get walked all over.

Haha MT2PA's advice^^ I had classmates peeking at my work in high school and I did not hesitate to call them out loudly in the middle of tests while they did it and they were disciplined and had their tests taken away for a score of 0. Not something that should be done in a graduate program though in my opinion and you shouldn't have to worry about things like this at this level!!  Such an immature thing for her to be doing and unprofessional behavior for a future PA... Sorry to hear how much you're struggling through all of this though, there's hopefully a diplomatic solution to be reached here and UGoLong's advice is pretty solid. Wishing you the best!

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your head up! You can do this.

Have you tried talking to this lady? Your grades are none of her concern and she needs to mind her own business. You can even go so far as to warn her that if she continues to cheat, you will be forced to tattle since cheating is not something you condone and you will not sit idly by. You have earned your grades, even with all your outside stresses, and she needs to earn hers.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear this, but regarding your seat neighbor I think you should let people know you have a problem and maybe have some fun with it at the same time.  Get yourself a poster presentation board or some other sort of obvious barrier, the bigger the better ( I would paint mine safety cone orange and decorate it with stickers) and put it up between you.  Or make some sort obvious computer screen cover out of some fabric or a small blanket.  How about making it uncomfortable so SHE wants to move?

You have NO other seats in your classroom - every single space is filled?  Ours was a large class and there were some pretty nasty seatmate breakups, people mentioned it once and then forgot about it.  

Not making light of your situation on purpose - do what you have to do to defend your personal space and your state of mind.  I'm absolutely all about getting along, but if you want to be super difficult when I'm under stress, I'm going to reject your attempt to rent space in my head, which is what's happening.  This chick can kiss your PA-S butt. 

And see your doctor about the anxiety.  There are things that can be done and it is normal to be stressed out and seek help with dealing with it.   Good luck.

Brittany- I also struggled with my test environment, among some other health problems and I was able to get formal disability accommodations through my school's disability office, so that I can take my tests in a separate room. Since it is a documented formal thing through the university, my PA program is required to comply. For me, the documentation was as simple as having my PCP right a letter on letterhead with the requested accommodations, diagnosis and ICD-10. I'm sure somewhere on every syllabus for every class at your school, it mentions this. Ask your faculty adviser and if you don't get help from your program, ask your school's student affairs office. You are likely going to have to come back for EOR exams, so even after this semester you will still have tests :(

As for her looking at your grades, don't check them in class. Wait till you get home, take your phone to the bathroom, take your computer outside on a break, etc. People are crazy about grades and rank. Try to ignore it or get away as best you can. Good luck!

In regards to your anxiety and emotional state, please go to the student health center and talk to someone. Most schools have some sort of mental health support or peer groups that you can help you with this sort of thing. Ask your advisor as well. Make sure you are taking care of yourself on all levels--- healthy diet, good sleep, taking well deserved breaks from anything school related and getting fresh air and exercise. 

Archived