Nursing School prereqs

Hello, I am trying to decide which major to choose at the moment for undergrad.

I have heard that the science classes for nurses do not count for pa school prereqs because they are different for nursing then other science majors, is this true?

Microbiology is a good example of a course that is often different for nursing students from the students taking it in the biology department. Most nursing programs won't go into organic chemistry/biochemistry either from the curriculums I've looked over at nursing schools in my state, so just keep in mind if you choose the nursing path you may have to take some courses outside of your major to meet PA school pre-reqs (a lot of us have to do that anyway though). At my university, nursing students took the same general chemistry, general bio, and A & P courses as everyone else and then split off into their department only for the higher level sciences. Just look around at PA schools you'd want to apply to and consider which options at your univeristy may fulfill those pre-reqs, it's also not a bad idea to inquire directly with the PA programs to get their thoughts on if those courses will satisfy their requirements.

Archived