I have a new job offer that asks for 120 days notice before resignation. Their reasoning was "I have found 90 days in the past did not give us adequate time to find a suitable replacement".  I feel like 90 is more the standard and is quite reasonable. Has anyone agreed to a notice of more than 90 days? 

Thanks for the input!

• 3 weeks later...

I recently negotiated 180 days down to 90 days notice of leave. Anything over 90 days just seems absurd to me. Those final weeks/months can drag on and be awkward for both parties. Plus, you have to think about a situation where you might be offered a new position. Most employers are looking for you to start soon after interviewing, so if they had to choose between you and another candidate who could start right away, they'd probably take that other candidate. 

90 days is MORE then enough

30 days is short (think if getting laid off and only have 30 days to find a new job)

60 days seems to be the sweet spot

90 days at the most..... no way for 120.....

Their replacing you is their problem, not yours....

Look over the contract VERY carefully, might well be other surprises in there.....

90 days is MORE then enough

30 days is short (think if getting laid off and only have 30 days to find a new job)

60 days seems to be the sweet spot

90 days at the most..... no way for 120.....

Their replacing you is their problem, not yours....

Look over the contract VERY carefully, might well be other surprises in there.....

Seconding looking over the contract. I've had some weird things. Also make sure you ask for a red lined contract with any revised contract. I had one place give me a non-red lined second draft of a contract. They had added in that I would be hourly instead of salaried and would be working at multiple clinic locations. I was not informed of this. I ended up getting the offer rescinded because I (very politely) called them out on it, but honestly? Don't think I'd want to work there if they're pulling that crap.

Archived