Emergency Medicine Offer

Please help me with this offer. It is for a full-time EM position as a new grad in a midwestern US city. The hospital is a large, renowned level I trauma center with resident coverage. I was told that PAs are used to "full potential," as in we are given great autonomy, but do always have a physician available for any questions/assistance. Schedule is three, 12-hour shifts per week (36 hours per week). First 3-6 months will be a training period, at which I will be paid 90% of the salary pay, and then 100% after training is completed. 

Salary: $98,500, non-negotiable

Bonus: Tuition repayment assistance of $5,000/year 

PTO: 30 days/year (includes sick days, vacation and holidays)

CME: $1,000 allowance 

Full medical, vision, dental insurance 

Short and long term disability coverage paid 100% by employer

Basic life insurance up to $500,000 paid 100% by employer 

Savings and Investment plan - employer matches 50% up to 6% of pay 

Considering the tuition repayment bonus of $5K and the fact that your dental, medical and vision are paid at 100% by the hospital, I'd say that makes up for being short a grand or so in CME funds as compared to average?  Overall, sounds like a solid offer for a new grad in EM - especially if it is a good learning environment and you're given a fairly broad scope.

Great, thank you all for the responses. From your experience, if the salary was stated to be non-negotiable, does that mean benefits aren't either? Does anyone have any cases where they were told the offer was non-negotiable but was able to ask and get granted better benefits?

If it's a large hospital group your only leverage is to find a reason why you qualify to be given "experience" in their system and bumped up to a different salary level. You are a new grad, do you have relevant experience in the ED? an MPH? Extensive work history?

Archived