My original plan was/is to get an EMT certification this summer term and try to hop on with a hospital as an ER/ED Tech afterwards. I figured that'd be the ideal way to not only rack up the hours of HCE, but also be surrounded by loads of docs and PAs that I could potentially shadow and get letters of recommendation from. I also thought it'd be best since at the moment I prefer the idea of working in emergency medicine when I'm a PA.

However, I've recently noticed that a dermatology medical surgical assistant position has become available at a local dermatology group near me with no prior experience or credentials required. The job listing claims they'll train you on the job.

Should I continue with my original plan to get CPR + EMT certified and hop on with a hospital, or should I try my luck at that derm position?

Guest HanSolo

You never know how things are going to go. I'd apply to any job you are interested in. If the derm job sounds interesting to you, give it a shot. ER Tech positions are notoriously difficult to get. You might be competing against people with lots of outside EMS experience or nursing students. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. However, I think it would be wise to keep your options open - think really open - because you never know what you will be called in to interview for (or not). 

You can still use your EMT cert to run with an ambulance or something outside of the derm job. No harm in applying. 

You never know how things are going to go. I'd apply to any job you are interested in. If the derm job sounds interesting to you, give it a shot. ER Tech positions are notoriously difficult to get. You might be competing against people with lots of outside EMS experience or nursing students. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other. However, I think it would be wise to keep your options open - think really open - because you never know what you will be called in to interview for (or not). 

You can still use your EMT cert to run with an ambulance or something outside of the derm job. No harm in applying. 

The downside to pursuing the derm position would be giving up the opportunity to go through the EMT program and get that certification over the summer though. That's the only thing I'm unsure about.

I scribed while getting my EMT certification and then thankfully found a job as an ER tech. Best to keep your options open! Also, there is no harm is getting some HCE while you get your certification. If it turns out you hate dermatology then you have the EMT certification to give you an edge in finding a new job.

One of my life lessons: if you think you might be interested in something, find a small way to try it out. I am a PA today because a nurse in the hospital where I was volunteering encouraged me to take an EMT class a long time ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest HanSolo

The downside to pursuing the derm position would be giving up the opportunity to go through the EMT program and get that certification over the summer though. That's the only thing I'm unsure about.

I would still apply for the derm position. Let's say you go through all the steps, are offered the job, but decide it's not right for you. The worst that could happen is you get interview experience and have an updated resume ready for your next job application. Plus, you never know their flexibility. A lot of unknowns here. 

Archived