Reasonable Salary vs Low Balling

I've noticed a trend among some of the job search engines.   The sponsored jobs will pop up and have much lower salaries than 

the national averages.  I would just like to call attention to this especially for new PA's going out to work.

Know your worth as a Provider.  The AAPA national statistics are pretty good but keep in mind they tend to be medians values so you can certainly make more than is listed.  It is in companies best interests to keep our salaries low.  

As a PA with 10+ years of experience, I inquire of my Supervising Physician perhaps once a week, other than that I'm doing the same job.  Sure, I am not signing off on other providers charts as they are, but they're still making almost twice the salary of a PA.  We are billing out 85% yet getting paid half the salary.  It's a great deal for Physician offices and Corporate owners.

I've worked in Urgent Care, & Emergency Medicine.  I thought I would pick up some extra work through an agency which I will not disclose the name.  They want to pay me $70/hr as an independent contractor.  This is like $50-55 hr as an employee.  This is what a PA out of school can make, not someone with 12 years of experience.

I told them $90 hour, and went down to $85/hr.  Their client needs coverage starting the next couple of days, so we shall see.  The salary game.

Anyway, I will keep you posted.

Tristate PAC

Archived