False positive drug test? What to do?

Hi everyone,

I am supposed to be starting the PA school at the end of May and I am in the process of doing all required test/ physicals etc.

I just received the information that my drug test result came back POSITIVE for codeine!!!

I have no idea why, I never ever took any drugs or prescription medications that could affect the result. What would you do? I am terrified that I'll loose my seat. Did any of you hear about similar situation? Will they let me take another test? I am just shocked!

Many OTC and RX drugs will give false positives for codeine. Medical review officer will need to sign off on this so that is who should be consulted. The sample can be sent off for second level testing. Do not let this go for one day.

I called them back (the medical review officer) and asked about the poppy seeds but they said that I was above the threshold for second level testing. From what they said the threshold was set by the school. I still haven't heard anything from school...

I am thinking maybe I should do the test where they take hair sample and send the results to them. What do you guys think?

I'd go do a second test. 

Thank you for your reply. Would you recommend the hair follicle test or the second urine screen? I will try calling the school again tomorrow and I hope they'll give me a chance to prove that the test result was false.

Is it possible that they will just say "no" to the second test and I will loose my spot in a class? I can't believe I have to explain myself when I didn't do anything!

Have they contacted you about this? If not, please let them. They probably have a protocol. Reading your posts, it feels like there is some panic going on... take a breath. This is not the first time someone has failed a drug test. Breathe and wait for them to tell you what to do next. Repeat phone calls are not going to convince them of your innocence or your ability to roll with unexpected situations that arise. 

Have they contacted you about this? If not, please let them. They probably have a protocol. Reading your posts, it feels like there is some panic going on... take a breath. This is not the first time someone has failed a drug test. Breathe and wait for them to tell you what to do next. Repeat phone calls are not going to convince them of your innocence or your ability to roll with unexpected situations that arise. 

No they have not contacted me yet. The results were reported today. And yes, I did panic when I found out. The school starts in less than a month, my mom is flying from Europe to take care of my kids while I'm in school, I am sacrificing a lot to follow my dreams. I will not let some testing error destroy that.

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.  And thank you everyone for trying to offer some guidance!

The next day I got a phone call from the program director. She said they will order another test for me. She was very polite and explained what would happen if the test was positive again. I already had it done and the result is negative:) Luckily, everything ended well!

Archived