ED partnership opportunity

I have an opportunity to become a partner in an emergency medicine contract in Georgia.  This will include profit sharing and democratic decision making.  I have been working in emergency medicine the last couple years.  I don't know of any PAs that work in an ER like this.  I was hoping to connect with someone on the forum and ask how this is going. 

Thanks.

Just the same piece of advice I give everyone who is entering a partnership...get EVERYTHING in writing before you enter into the arrangement. Anticipate the pinch points... who counts profit...what is your  redress in case you don't think it is right...will there be outside audits etc. Who is the business manager and what are your liabilities if the business fails? How you will dissolve your agreement if you or someone else wants out or wants you out? Can you or anyone else sell their interest in the partnership? If so...how? Think it through and get it all in writing. Don't assume it will all be OK because everyone is in love right now. One of the best most experienced PAs I have known got screwed in a similar arrangement with a cardiologist.  They were buds... they would get the business rolling while they worked out the details. 16 months later business was booming and the cardiologist put him on the curb and partnered with another cardiologist. 

Move forward with caution but embrace the opportunity. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just the same piece of advice I give everyone who is entering a partnership...get EVERYTHING in writing before you enter into the arrangement. Anticipate the pinch points... who counts profit...what is your  redress in case you don't think it is right...will there be outside audits etc. Who is the business manager and what are your liabilities if the business fails? How you will dissolve your agreement if you or someone else wants out or wants you out? Can you or anyone else sell their interest in the partnership? If so...how? Think it through and get it all in writing. Don't assume it will all be OK because everyone is in love right now. One of the best most experienced PAs I have known got screwed in a similar arrangement with a cardiologist.  They were buds... they would get the business rolling while they worked out the details. 16 months later business was booming and the cardiologist put him on the curb and partnered with another cardiologist. 

Move forward with caution but embrace the opportunity. Good luck!

This is great advice and something I will ensure. 

Archived