Didn't have my credit checked unfortunately, a little suspicious that it may have been my academic letter of rec that wasn't formatted correctly =/ Oh well.

I think that's one of the most frustrating aspects of this scholarship. There are sooooo many places you can be disqualified at. 

I also had my credit checked by Credco on June 8th.

Here are my stats for the poster that asked:

Cumulative GPA: 3.85

Disadvantaged: No

Experience: I worked in special education for a Title I school district (students that are transportation disadvantaged, medically disadvantaged, parents that are institutionalized, come from impoverished households, require lunch assistance, etc.) Also did a lot of work as a diversity coordinator, student life coordinator, and ESL coordinator for a college. 

My CV had research experience, a grant, presentations on graduate panels at meetings of the American Academy of Religion on topics like medical ethics and Native Americans, and experience facilitating diversity programming. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/28/2017 at 5:07 PM, applicantforpa2 said:

Has anyone ever asked or have an idea about how many of the awards go to PAs (ie the whole pool of money gets split between doctors, dentists, nurses and PAs and I just wonder what percentage go to PAs.) Seems like we would be a better bang for the buck but my impression is that not that many PAs get awards. 

They're notoriously tight-lipped about this stuff, but from what I've seen about half of all awards go to MDs/DOs (60% MD, 40% DO as per a report published by AACOM). From there, about 10% of awards go to dentists (usually between like 18-25 applicants as per some statistics someone from SDN's dental forum found). That leaves 40% of scholarships to be split between PA, NP, and midwife students. I don't have any data for PAs, NPs, and midwives... however, these are the statistics of the breakdown for those respective disciplines in the loan repayment program: 13% PA, 16% NP, 2% midwife. I think we could extrapolate and imagine a similar distribution of the remaining 40% of scholarships. 

I know that is horribly speculative and horrible statistical analysis, but it's the best we've got haha! 

I think a large reason we don't see as many PAs is because the NHSC ranks applications according to performance in school, disadvantaged status, and likelihood that applicants will remain in areas that need service after the duration of their repayment has ended. The average PA (and NP and midwife) just doesn't have the same statistics to compete with the average MD and DO applicant. Dentists are in the same boat... their average accepted GPA is lower and therefore I'd imagine fewer receive a favorable ranking - and hence why only about 10% receive a scholarship. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mnreyes said:

Still waiting to hear back :/ 

The first round of finalist e-mails went out on July 27th last year, but the first round of credit checks were also a week later.  Can't be too much longer until we hear of first round people getting their e-mails. Don't worry if you don't hear with the first group. Apparently there were 2-3 rounds of e-mails last year as people accepted and declined their offers. 

6 hours ago, OUohyeah said:

Any bets on tomorrow being the day they send out the first wave of finalist emails? 

That's what I'm thinking... the timing seemed to be pretty consistent across the years. And with credit checks being a week earlier this year than previous years, tomorrow seems to be the day. 

Good luck to everyone should tomorrow be the day! 

So rumor has it (from student doctor network) that the emails are 'usually' sent out the Wednesday after the site maintenance, which was this past Friday. It looks like this has been the latest they've notified the first wave of people within the last 5 years.

I really hope this week is the week! 

good luck to everyone

7 hours ago, OUohyeah said:

still nothing on any forum... it has to be today before 5:00pm... right?

I think an SDN poster mentioned that someone got an e-mail at 5:12 pm or something haha...

I wonder if there's some stuff happening on their end... There was just an article published about the state of things over at the State Department (something like a backlog of 250 work memos waiting to be signed - one of which account for $80 million in spending) and how slow things are moving due to the transition and turnover between administrations. Maybe there's a similar thing happening over at the Department of Health and Human Services?

Either that, or maybe the fact there's only around 147 scholarships available this year is causing problems? Maybe there won't be multiple rounds of finalist e-mails... Just one round and then a few random e-mails to fill the spots of those who decline?

Sounds like this will be the latest decisions have ever gone out. I've heard it said that in a few years, the program might not even exist. The ACA funded it until 2020 I believe?

If you're interested, there's actually a pretty famous book called "The Dance of Legislation" which details what it took to establish the National Health Service Bill: "The Dance of Legislation has long been considered a classic description of the legislative process. In it, Eric Redman draws on his two years as a member of Senator Warren Magnuson’s staff to trace the drafting and passing of a piece of legislation ― S.4106, the National Health Service Bill ― with all the maneuvers, plots, counterplots, frustrations, triumphs, and sheer work and dedication involved. He provides a vivid picture of the bureaucratic infighting, political prerogatives, and Congressional courtesies necessary to make something happen on Capitol Hill. In a Postscript to the 2000 edition, Redman reflects on how that process has, and has not, changed in the thirty years since the book was first published."

I got the finalist email around 11 o clock this morning. Now just waiting for Monday to get enrollment verification forms signed from school, so I can submit it and accept the award. Anybody knows why they say they are awarding it but there is no guarantee?

This is what it shows 

Your application has been identified as a possible recipient for a 2017 NHSC Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) award. This is not a guarantee of an award. At this time, it is required you complete the following steps by  8/11/2017

6 hours ago, Onward&upward said:

I got the finalist email around 11 o clock this morning. Now just waiting for Monday to get enrollment verification forms signed from school, so I can submit it and accept the award. Anybody knows why they say they are awarding it but there is no guarantee?

This is what it shows 

Congrats! Did you get the credit check along with @RainOnNeptune ?

Can anyone clarify what this scholarship is? This is what I got from the website:
When accepted into PA school (hopefully by December of the application cycle), you apply when the NHSC app opens in the next year. If you get awarded, does the scholarship pay for your ENTIRE tuition/living expenses? In exchange, after you graduate you work in an approved, underserved location as a primary care PA. How often is it that you get to choose the CITY you get to work in after?

Thanks all & I wish you all good luck on this application! 

Archived