Hi all!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted this cycle!!! I received my acceptance in February and have been ecstatic since. Then I remembered that I need to pay for this somehow, loans or scholarship.

I am married and have three children under 5, and my wife stays at home, so it is looking like lots of loans or (fingers crossed/praying) NHSC scholarship. I just finished my NHSC scholarship application and submitted yesterday! 

Anyone else apply for the NHSC scholarship?

I know it will be a while before we hear anything, but hopefully we can keep each other updated on our status changes for encouragement. 

Good luck to everyone!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone  who is applying this year. I am not an expert but from what I have seen from the forums and from my friends who have received the scholarship, NHSC will do a credit check sometime toward the beginning of June through July. I am not sure if there is just one or possibly more dates that they check credit scores. Your credit report may not show NHSC but you will still notice that someone checked your credit.  You can verify that it was the NHSC by contacting the credit agency.  I am NOT a scholar but am applying a second time.  Having your credit checked does not guarantee anything but it means you are being considered still.  It's a good sign but again, no guarantee. NHSC used to do interviews but no longer does anymore.  In the coming weeks, please share if your credit is checked so we can also check ours! 

Also, the following link is useful because it shows previous years required HPSA score upon graduation.  Lower the number = more desirable jobs. This is just for those who are curious.   

https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/currentmembers/scholars/fromtrainingtopractice/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my credit karma today and saw that CREDCO checked my credit yesterday!

That's good but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I applied last year and had heard that a CREDCO check meant you were probably a finalist. When I got the notice that CREDCO had checked my credit, I got super excited. However, I was not a finalist and never heard another thing until the final rejection email sometime in September. I later read that everyone gets a CREDCO check. It's all a guessing game - and probably even more so this year given how Trump and the GOP are hell-bent on destroying federal agencies and probably this program eventually.  

That's good but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I applied last year and had heard that a CREDCO check meant you were probably a finalist. When I got the notice that CREDCO had checked my credit, I got super excited. However, I was not a finalist and never heard another thing until the final rejection email sometime in September. I later read that everyone gets a CREDCO check. It's all a guessing game - and probably even more so this year given how Trump and the GOP are hell-bent on destroying federal agencies and probably this program eventually.  

I think that it's still good news. No one is a finalist who hasn't had their credit checked. It's a sign that you successfully completed all of the paperwork - which is a huge accomplishment considering how contradictory their requirements are within their own program guidance document... all documents must be PDF v. all documents need not be PDF, all documents must be signed v. all documents must not be signed, 250 words v. 350 words, etc. 

For what it is worth.  I never had my credit checked last year and I obviously did not receive the scholarship. It could have been that I just didn't fill something out correctly last year but I was pretty sure that I had. I had my credit checked by the department of education on June 4th 2017 per credit karma but is it supposed to be CREDCO? 

For what it is worth.  I never had my credit checked last year and I obviously did not receive the scholarship. It could have been that I just didn't fill something out correctly last year but I was pretty sure that I had. I had my credit checked by the department of education on June 4th 2017 per credit karma but is it supposed to be CREDCO? 

I had my credit checked by the dept of education for my loans, I don't know if that could be it for you too? From what I've read CREDCO is what shows up when the NHSC checks it

I had my credit checked by the dept of education for my loans, I don't know if that could be it for you too? From what I've read CREDCO is what shows up when the NHSC checks it

Yep, CREDCO is what will show if it's the NHSC checking your credit. 

I think that it's still good news. No one is a finalist who hasn't had their credit checked. It's a sign that you successfully completed all of the paperwork - which is a huge accomplishment considering how contradictory their requirements are within their own program guidance document... all documents must be PDF v. all documents need not be PDF, all documents must be signed v. all documents must not be signed, 250 words v. 350 words, etc. 

Agreed, I think it is a great sign! Be encouraged and congrats to everyone who got there credit checked! Mine has not been checked yet.

Only one person got their credit checked???

Anyone else with input?

RainOnNeptune : Any chance you would share a bit about your qualifications? Disadvantaged? Experience? Grades?

The whole acceptance process is so mysterious it would be nice to see what types of folks are getting the all powerful backgound check.

Only one person got their credit checked???

Anyone else with input?

RainOnNeptune : Any chance you would share a bit about your qualifications? Disadvantaged? Experience? Grades?

The whole acceptance process is so mysterious it would be nice to see what types of folks are getting the all powerful backgound check.

Some people on the dental forum at student doctor have said their credit was checked on the same day. 

I do come from a disadvantaged background, GPA 3.9. I was a medical assistant and spent a lot of my life in under served areas. 

Just checked CreditKarma again, and it says I have had 1 new hard inquiry, but it does not give the details of this hard inquiry. :/  Anyone else have this problem? Will it eventually give the details of this hard inquiry?

Nevermind, just looked at my official credit report, and the new hard inquiry was due to me switching cell phone providers. :'( Blast!

Archived