I work full time M-F in orthopedic surgery. However, there are no weekends/nights/holidays/call. What kind of side jobs do you guys have? I know per diem in urgent care is a good option, but I've only ever done ortho since graduating 1.5 years ago and I think it would be hard finding a place to train for occasional work. Any options for working from home? Thanks in advance.

We just hired a 4 year PA into UC who has done nothing but ortho since he graduated. He has a bit of a learning curve but it isn't too steep. Have good references available and give it a try. With online resources (or Apps) like UpToDate and the Sanford guide you can get a quick primer on something you see.

UC is not a bad spot to be--there's a good call for ortho, and it will help you keep up on URI/UTI/Lacs and other general family medicine.  Pay is also usually pretty good.

Thanks rev, yes it would be nice to keep up with stuff like this so that I'm not re-learning PA school for the PANRE!

We just hired a 4 year PA into UC who has done nothing but ortho since he graduated. He has a bit of a learning curve but it isn't too steep. Have good references available and give it a try. With online resources (or Apps) like UpToDate and the Sanford guide you can get a quick primer on something you see.

This is good motivation, I've always been a little hesitant because I'm afraid of messing up since I feel like I've forgotten a lot of things but if I can find a place to train me then it shouldn't be too bad.

Not sure why you'd want to work more than 40 hours, but lots of per diem UC jobs out there.

Just for extra side money, it wouldn't be every weekend, probably one day every 2-3 weeks. It would also be nice to branch out so I don't forget general medicine. I work in Los Angeles, cost of living is very high!

I'm in Cardiothoracic Surgery as my primary position, and I do UC on the weekends and anytime I have some time off.  The pay isn't bad, but I do it for the experience and as my plan B.  As previous posters have stated, it helps maintain the general medicine and family medicine we were trained on and maintain those thoughts and skills.

I work full time, doing four ten hour shifts in adult primary care. One day, midweek, I work for a mental health agency, prescribing psych meds, usually working ten hours daily. Both are outpatient. It's actually nice to have two jobs that contrast, but complement each other.

Archived