Trouble finding PC PA to shadow

Hi Everyone, 

Long story short, I have been trying to find a primary care office to shadow a PA and none of the offices either allow for it or simply don't call me back. I have been overly persistent trying to get more shadowing in and specifically primary care. My shadowing experience is in surgery, urgent care, ER, and the burn unit. I found one place that would take me to shadow, but will charge me $500 to shadow....but, they don't have a PA available to shadow...He has a student currently with him. They offered I shadow the doctor. For $500 is this worth it? OR is it just a waste of time and money to shadow the doc? I'm at a cross-roads on this one..

Any advice would be great! Thanks

DO NOT PAY TO SHADOW.

That is just wrong.

Where are you in the US?

Many corporate run offices have policies against shadowing. It is wrong but it exists. They want people working to 100% production. 

Best to find a small solo privately owned practice.

Try the local county medical society or local/state PA society.

Just do NOT pay to shadow. That is ethically wrong on so many levels.

DO NOT PAY TO SHADOW.

That is just wrong.

Where are you in the US?

Many corporate run offices have policies against shadowing. It is wrong but it exists. They want people working to 100% production. 

Best to find a small solo privately owned practice.

Try the local county medical society or local/state PA society.

Just do NOT pay to shadow. That is ethically wrong on so many levels.

Hi, 

Thanks for responding! I was in awe they told me that... I would be willing to pay if I was actually going to shadow a PA...I live in Bakersfield, CA. I feel like I have tried everything. I haven't tried the surrounding small towns outside of Bakersfield yet.. I have asked the PA's I know if they know of any primary care PAs and no luck there either. Have you heard of this website, http://pamentoronline.com? They have a PA shadowing service for $200, where they place you with someone... not sure if that is a good idea either. 

Once again, do not pay someone to let you shadow them!!

You already have a diverse list of places you have spent time shadowing. Unless there is a specific school that absolutely requires a certain amount of primary care shadowing, I wouldn't worry about it. 

If you still insist on having primary care shadowing, your best bet is to contact smaller private practice clinics (like RealityCheck suggested). This is what I did when I was looking for a place to shadow. I literally cold called a couple clinics and asked if I could come shadow their PA.

Once again, do not pay someone to let you shadow them!!

You already have a diverse list of places you have spent time shadowing. Unless there is a specific school that absolutely requires a certain amount of primary care shadowing, I wouldn't worry about it. 

If you still insist on having primary care shadowing, your best bet is to contact smaller private practice clinics (like RealityCheck suggested). This is what I did when I was looking for a place to shadow. I literally cold called a couple clinics and asked if I could come shadow their PA.

Thank you!

Archived