Questions regarding LORs

Hey guys, 

I'm currently looking into applying to PA school for the next cycle. My concern is that since the cycle won't open up for a while, how have you guys been able to get LORs from professors? Especially for those that go to a major university where professors meet thousands of kids every year, even those that they get to know on a personal level.

I've had a few professors turn my request down because they don't remember me from 3 semesters ago even though I spent a lot of time in their office hours and what not. Since CASPA doesn't allow letter carrier services like Interfolio, how have you guys processed LORs? Is there a way around the Interfolio service? I can understand the flaw in the system but its such a good system to be able to organize your materials for CASPA. Is there a reason why CASPA doesn't store your application after a cycle has ended? The problem I'm having is that I can get recommendation letters now but I have no place to store them and I'm afraid my professors won't hold on to or write another letter for me next application cycle when I apply. 

I understand Interfolio won't work into CASPA if you do

Professor -> Inter folio -> CASPA

What if it was possible to do

Professor -> Interfolio -> Professor -> CASPA

The CASPA application asks for the information of people you wish to be your references.  They email them a link directly to fill out an evaluation.  After that they have the option to upload a LOR.  You are not allowed to upload anything yourself or allowed to view what your references have said on your behalf.  By the way, the next cycle opens the 27th (2 days) not too far away.

I may have misunderstood your post.  Are you applying this coming cycle or next cycle (April 2018)?  If the latter, I would recommend having your references write the LOR's and hold on to them.  Then, when you apply reach out to them via email or phone and ask to be a reference.  When they say they can't remember you forward them a copy of the LOR they wrote and just have them submit that. 

I may have misunderstood your post.  Are you applying this coming cycle or next cycle (April 2018)?  If the latter, I would recommend having your references write the LOR's and hold on to them.  Then, when you apply reach out to them via email or phone and ask to be a reference.  When they say they can't remember you forward them a copy of the LOR they wrote and just have them submit that. 

So you say "forward them a copy", how would I get a copy? If I'm not allowed to view my references. 

I think what you could do in this situation would be to reach out now to the people you would like to write your an LOR so that you are fresh in their mind.

You may ask them to start working on it now in their spare time and let them know you when you would need it completed. Advise them to create a word document of the letter and then when you fill out your CASPA with their information as a reference, CASPA will send them an invitation to fill out the LOR through CASPA. At that point they will simply copy and paste the letter they wrote into CASPA. This way they will start working on the letter while they still know who you are, but you will not have access to what they write.

Using any intermediate steps like interfolio or having them directly give you the letter will not work.

Archived