2 job offers. Help me choose!

Hi everyone!

I've been job hunting since December, 2016. I interviewed and have 2 job offers on the table. Help me decide which one is best between the two. Fyi, I'm a new grad.

First one:

Big hospital system. They sent me the paperwork to begin the credentialing process. My projected start date is June, 5th.

Specialty: Correctional Medicine.

Salary: $90,000 annually.

Working: 4days a week 10hr shifts.

Insurance will be provided, 20 days PTO, 10 days Holiday,and $1000 CME.

They said they don't put pressure on the number of patients per hour. I liked that since I'm starting and want to focus on providing good care and gain experience. Also, they said after 1yr I'm eligible to switch to another specialty if I wish. I like the generalist nature of the job.

Second offer:

Psychiatry/Addiction Medicine

Pay:$95,000 M-F 9am-6pm or longer. It's very close to home but the owner of the business has multiple other locations so he said there's a possibility that I may be needed in the other locations including Nursing home.

Vacation: 3weeks.

CME: $1000

401k will be offered after 1yr.

I have to provide 120 days written notice prior to resignation.I'm concerned about this. Some of the reviews of this facility were not good.

This position will start at the beginning of May. I like this because the grace period on my student loans is about to expire. Generally, I like Psychiatry but not sure if I want to work in this specialty long term.

What do you think? Thanks for your input.

I can't be the only one thinking that #1 blows #2 out of the water, forget the $5k.   In fact, #2 gives me the heebie-jeebies a little bit.  Worth the wait - and I'm in the same boat, made my first payment today and start getting paid next month.

PBJ and Ramen with tap water for a month will be forgotten soon enough.

In general, government or government-contract jobs will pay less in money but the pace and benefits are much better.  

Any others cooking?  

(the "h" is silent in "heebie" btw)

I see your point. No.1 although it's at the county jail it's a position with the hospital system, not the government. According to what I understand, the county gave the hospital a contract to provide services. So, I will be employed by the hospital.

No.2 salary hasn't been negotiated yet. It could go up if I know what to ask and how much to ask for. I was informed today that I could start as soon as next week. I'm at a cross-road. Don't want to let something go for something that hasn't even began.

Number two has some red flags just based off of what you've posted. The negative reviews can be hit or miss (I'm not a huge fan of patient driven surveys but they can help to paint a picture of the place prior to starting) but more importantly the 'you can start as early as next week'. The eagerness to start you is often because they're either a)short staffed on the clinician side of the house or b)burdened by too many complex patients (read as long days and underpaid free work).

Just seeing more red flags, I doubt anyone here is getting anything remotely warm and fuzzy for #2.  

You're concerned about the money, which is normal and healthy, but don't be that guy that takes the first job to start/come down the pike and then be miserable and/or get canned because you're miserable.

There are plenty of high-paying UC jobs out there solo coverage day 1 for new grads (usually bait and switch promise of training period)...doesn't mean they aren't a freaking nightmare.

I think it was Rev that said (paraphrase) your first job should be a training position where you are comfortable and getting quality training to the near exclusion of everything else.  

Any negotiating room for #1 salary?

I'm reading everything and weighing my options carefully. I truly appreciate the feedback. I'm not money driven at all but because I graduated in Dec, 2015, got my license in Jan 2017 and have been job searching ever since with one rejection after another, you can understand my need to get started as soon as possible and consider the money aspects of it. I agree that experience is key. Like I stated, #1 is a jail environment. They have basic equipments and supplies, there are rules and procedures to follow due to the nature of the environment, and of course most people don't work there long enough to retire, so that's something to consider. Having to go through security checks everyday etc is also something I'm thinking about.

No.2 has some red flags based on complaints I've seen online and here's another red flag. I waited 35mins past the interview time for the doctor/boss to come for the interview. During the interview we were interrupted multiple times with messages coming in and he was responding to each one of them as they came in. That is one of the complaint I saw online. "Long wait times" "Doctor responding to messages while seeing a patient" etc etc. So, yes I'm considering everything.

May I add that none of these jobs are my ideal or in my long-term goals so eventually regardless of which one I choose I will probably leave in 2yrs to pursue a specialty I really love.

Ohhhhhh ok so like jail-jail.  I thought you were in a hospital with a jail section - I interviewed at one of these.  

Still on Team Jail Job - #2 just sounds like your basic hustle.  

I still feel like #1 would be a pretty supportive environment for new graduates like us.  I don't see a whole lot of downside, I mean other than the look of the place, but these things tend to not bother me.  Couple years' experience and consider moving on.   IMHO.

In the final week of credentialing and getting ready to start.  It was just basic red tape, filling out forms, getting training, urine drug test, shots, pro picture for the company website, etc.  They do a thorough background check but I got away clean from all those bank robberies, so no worries.  Bottom line, a few emails with sign and return, I signed my name to a contract about 1674 times, some minor tasks and sit through some other stuff.  No big deal.  

I'm sure a few people fail to credential from time to time, I mean it's possible but it would be pretty hard.  Just don't lie because they can and do check.

AVOID #2 - sounds bad bad

Working in corrections myself - I am hesitant to recommend to a new grad unless you have some mentoring.

The financial side of medicine is daily concern

the inmates are master manipulators

Having said that I love it, and it is great - but I am in one of the top facilities in the country (2 years ago we were #1 program of the year) os the admin folks do care,,,,,,, unlike some places where they resent medical as it is expensive (in fact the biggest expense they have)

If i have to choose i will go with second option since it seems promising to provide me (fresh) a lot more learning experience that i got doing paper work. The first few weeks will be difficult but if you are willing to learn and excel your career at a fast pace this will be a great start. Twelve months past quickly and consider the 401K thing also. 

Ventana,

You're right. I was briefly told about being manipulated. I also heard about paying for healthcare. How does that work? It made no sense to me that a jailed person would pay to have medical care.

Eian01 by a lot of experience, do you mean less paperwork since it's a private practice and not hospital job?

The correctional medicine job sounds better to me assuming they provide full benefits (health insurance, 401k, dental, vision, some form of disability insurance, etc).  The $1,000 for CME sounds a tad low to me but I think that can be overlooked for a first job.

I would avoid job#2 based on what you said.  It sounds like a bad situation.  Rudeness during an interview is not good.  120 days written notice prior to resignation is ridiculous and leaves you open to all sorts of maltreatment once you submit your notice of resignation.   And if they only give you 3 weeks of vacation and no CME days or personal days, it would only further discourage me from accepting. 

You can always change specialties and general medicine is a great place to start after school IMO.  It helps build a good foundation of essential basics.  

CVTSPA, thank you for your response. I made my decision to reject the Psychiatry/ Addiction Medicine after a former classmate/current PA told me all about it. Apparently some of my classmates did their rotations there and didn't like it. 1 PA accepted a job but left before the contract ended(Found out the assignment has 24months attached to it). I appreciate the feedback.

The Jail didn't have good reviews either from a fellow classmate/PA but I will not be tied to it for 2yrs. So, I'll start with that and hopefully better opportunities will open up in future.

Archived