Intensive global health/tropical med. course at OHSU

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/continuing-education/global-health-center/gh-education/ptgh.cfm

looks very interesting.

I applied for the spring course and if accepted will be the first PA to take the course.

10 week course. 2 full days/week.

cost 5000 dollars with clinical rotations, 3500 without( 3800 in 2011).

must have an active oregon pa license to apply.

Second time this week I will tell you that I'm envious. If I were rich (because I would have to quit work, get a license in OR + pay tuition to go) I would do it.

Are you going to the PAs for Global Health conference in NYC (actually across the river in NY) in Nov? I'm hoping to.

not going to the conference although I am a member of pagh. the keynote speaker(chris summers, pa-c) was in Haiti with me in jan with nycmedics.

another option for you without leaving home is the distance masters of science at the university of glan morgan in wales, england in "Disaster relief healthcare". 3 yrs part time with a required field project you could do based on your trips to nepal. a paramedic with me in Haiti last week is a 3rd yr student in this and loves it.

not going to the conference although I am a member of pagh. the keynote speaker(chris summers, pa-c) was in Haiti with me in jan with nycmedics.

another option for you without leaving home is the distance masters of science at the university of glan morgan in wales, england in "Disaster relief healthcare". 3 yrs part time with a required field project you could do based on your trips to nepal. a paramedic with me in Haiti last week is a 3rd yr student in this and loves it.

Yeah, I knew that Chris was dong the keynote. Spoke to him once. 4 AM in Islamabad. I was on my way out, he on his way in.

Sounds like a great course! Too bad I'm still in AZ, but another reason for me to think about making a move! I came across the PA's for global health recently, and have been thinking about becoming a member as I'm wanting to become more involved in volunteering. So much to think about and I'm so glad that you guys have so many resources that you share!

• 9 months later...

in week 2 of this course now. would highly recommend to anyone interested in global health. they will likely open up this course to wa residents soon as well.

just had a series of lectures on tropical derm which were great and today had third world dentistry. bought myself a few instruments(extractor, elevator) on ebay for less than 20 bucks and I'm good to go for next time overseas. will also be spending some time with a local dentist at a dental free clinic in the near future.

Of all the things that the field of medicine has exposed me to, working on teeth just gives me the willies through and through. I get nauseated at the idea of a broken tooth. :-) Have you met Dr. Jon Jui or Dr. Terri Schmidt? They are both active in the DMAT scene and are both my MD EMS advisors. Jon for my "street work" Terri for my mountain/wilderness work.

I'm on dmat with both of them and have been to Haiti with Terri twice, most recently 2 mo ago..
You see them more than I then LOL. She showed some of her slides from a Haitian trip at a SAR conference last October. I have been in school since Fall of 2009 working on pre reqs and just haven't been able to commit any time to such an endeavor as DMAT. After PA school is finished in 2013 and the family starts to recognize me by sight again I plan to look into it. It sounds like there is a niche there for my penchant of Wilderness Medicine...doing more with less.

Archived