Letters of Recommendation, patient care from a non PA-C or from a PA you only shadowed?

Hi All, 

I am applying for PA school here in a week or so and I have a question about a letter of recommendation.  I have a PA that I shadowed who was going to write me a letter of rec, but she recently brought up whether it would be a stronger reference to have a person, like my supervising PT at the hospital I work at, write the letter because they have more knowledge of my clinical skill and patient interactions? She says that she thinks that I would make a great PA , but worries with our lack of a working relationship, ( I shadowed her twice) that it might not be a strong enough reference. Thoughts? Advice?? All is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Kim Tess

I would go with the person who can give you the strongest reference in regards to your clinical work. I asked the same question since I have a pharmacist as one of mine, but i worked with her for 4+ years and she knows how I work very well, and I was told to go with the pharmacist. Yes it does look good to have a PA-C or MD but, if they can't truly vouch for your clinical skills it won't be considered strong.

I have been wondering this too, as I'm in the same situation. I know there are some schools that require a letter of rec from a PA, so I am considering asking her for one anyway just because I don't want to be automatically filtered out at some of those programs.

I heartily agree. Unless a program requires a PA or MD, go with your strongest references, not someone who barely knows you!

You get two chances to convey who the heck you really are. One is your essay and the second are your letters of reference. Choose wisely!

In my case -- and only as an example -- I picked (a) a professor who could attest to my academic achievement and work ethic, (b) the chief of the EMS unit I had worked for several years, attesting to my patient care skills, and (c ) a long-time friend and senior executive in a firm who could talk about my character, team performance, and work ethic.

You don't have to do it the way I did. In fact, the best reference letter I've ever seen for a prospective PA student was from her undergrad soccer coach. After you finished reading that gem, you felt like you knew the woman and really wanted to meet her.

You can give your references some guidance as to what aspects of your life you'd like them to cover. You can also give them a resume or CV to jog their memory. Don't ask to review their references before they send them in!

Best of luck everyone!

Archived