Help - Finding a lot of dead ends and roadblocks

I recently (in the last 6 months) discovered that I want to be a PA, and this is the first time I've ever really known exactly what I want to do with my career. Unfortunately, I made this discovery later in life, as I turn 43 next month, and have a wife and 2 children. I have worked in a Level 1 trauma center for 18 months now. In addition to the rest of my medical experience, I've more than covered the HCE requirement for any university. 

It's unfortunate because it disqualifies me for a lot of the military programs and for going to school in San Antonio (Ft Sam Houston). I have been Active Duty or Reserve for nearly a decade and a half, but won't be able to combine the two passions through the IPAP or other programs that require completion and commission before your 42nd birthday. I would have really enjoyed going back to AD status as a PA. 

All these "no" answers haven't shut me down, just made the path narrower. Surviving school financially is going to be the biggest grind. I am hoping to be employed by the VA by years end and can perhaps take advantage of their TA program (any insight on that would be appreciated) in addition to loans/grants/scholarships. However, I'm pretty sure if I use that, I owe the VA time and wouldn't be able to go Active Duty due to that obligation. Plus, my current employers TA program isn't as helpful as the VA's. 

I used my GI Bill up getting through Nursing school, so again my options get a bit more limited. 

Does anyone have any insight or advice for my situation? Thoughts, ideas, support? 

Thanks. I'm still sifting through this website and others for information but there is so much out there it can be overwhelming. 

I have worked in a Level 1 trauma center for 18 months now. In addition to the rest of my medical experience, I've more than covered the HCE requirement for any university. 

Hello,

First and foremost I think at your age (young) and with  a family what your trying to do is very admirable. 

I am taking my pre-reqs now and am also interested in the reserves (Not AD, too much). But I recall reading on the guard's website that 41 is the cutoff but you might be eligible for a waiver on that. They pay 75k for three years. And they talk about combining a national guard service with VA careers. Just saying if tuition is the threat maybe this is an option?

Either way I wish you all the best. 

Do you have a rating from the VA? If you have 20 percent or more you can qualify for Vocational Rehab, and they will pay for school in full, plus a housing allowance with no commitments. It a super sweet deal not worth passing up. Go to the veterans page for me help here. Specifically look for the Voc Rehab thread in that forum for more help and information.

Good Luck!  

Do you have a rating from the VA? If you have 20 percent or more you can qualify for Vocational Rehab, and they will pay for school in full, plus a housing allowance with no commitments. It a super sweet deal not worth passing up. Go to the veterans page for me help here. Specifically look for the Voc Rehab thread in that forum for more help and information.

Good Luck!  

I'm not disabled, still in the Reserves at the moment. Thanks for the info though!

Archived