California licensing question

Hey guys, 

I'm a new grad, and am scheduled to start my first job on May 1st. The first little while will just be orientation etc until I take the PANCE on May 16th. Can someone tell me what the timeline for licensing will be for me? Do I have to wait until I get my PANCE results before I can start the licensing process? Is it the same for DEA/NPI? Or can I start making headway before I take the test?

All advice and help is appreciated!

NPI and licensing process you should start before taking the PANCE. I would get on it as soon as possible because there is a lot of information to gather (background checks, fingerprinting, prior certifications, etc). The sooner you submit a completed package the better because they will tell you if your are missing any information. Then once you pass they will send your passing score to CA boards and you get your license.

DEA has to wait until after your get your license if I remember correctly

Start the process,  paperwork, fingerprints, etc.  You should be able to submit all of your paperwork completed (and licensing fees paid) before you take PANCE;  then when you get your PANCE results you can request that the result (e.g., "pass") be forwarded to the state licensing board.  This is what I did, and I was licensed in about a week after I got my PANCE results.  Take your schedule II course as soon as possible too.

I just became licensed in January. I agree with the above post, but will just clarify that you can submit all paperwork for your California state license before taking the PANCE. After getting your California license, you can apply for your NPI and DEA number. The California Controlled Substance Course is not required to practice, but I took after getting my DEA number because it removes patient specific approval to prescribe controlled substances. More important in outpatient and office work.

I just became licensed in January. I agree with the above post, but will just clarify that you can submit all paperwork for your California state license before taking the PANCE. After getting your California license, you can apply for your NPI and DEA number. The California Controlled Substance Course is not required to practice, but I took after getting my DEA number because it removes patient specific approval to prescribe controlled substances. More important in outpatient and office work.

I believe the California licensing application asked for an NPI number so I signed up for an NPI prior to passing pance.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone. So about this Schedule II course..Is that an online course? Or is that something I attend in person, and could potentially have covered by my employer?

It's an in person course Controlled Substance Education Course. They have it in different areas of CA throughout the year. It counts as CME so if you have some CME funds it might cover it.

http://www.pac.ca.gov/licensees/csec_info.shtml

• 3 months later...

Just curious how long it took others to get their CA state license approved after receiving their PANCE results? Thanks!

Edit: Just FYI. You can submit your PANCE score directly to the PA board electronically. This is NOT done automatically, however; you have to go to your NCCPA dashboard and choose to send your score. Once the board has your PANCE score they'll release state licenses electronically on Fridays

• 4 months later...

My licensing went very quickly and the licensing people are excellent and very responsive. I got my results on 10/12 and licensing was done  on 10/27 (they meet each friday). NPI takes like 5 minutes and DEA was 12 days after that. So total time from taking PANCE to full qualification was just a little over a month. Has to be one of the fastest states.

Matt

I found California's state PA board to be incredible when I was getting my license out there.  Shock among shocks...if you call them, they actually pick up the phone and were very helpful.  Compared to the Texas board where I live, it is night and day.  Night being the jerks in Austin...

Hi guys,

I have just accepted a new job in CA (woohoo!). Right now I'm in Maryland and in order to use my DEA license here, I have to have a CDS (controlled drug substance) license issued by the state of Maryland.

Does CA have something similar? Based on what you all posted above it sounds like you just have a class, which isn't mandatory?

Thanks for your help!

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, EmmaMarie said:

Hi guys,

I have just accepted a new job in CA (woohoo!). Right now I'm in Maryland and in order to use my DEA license here, I have to have a CDS (controlled drug substance) license issued by the state of Maryland.

Does CA have something similar? Based on what you all posted above it sounds like you just have a class, which isn't mandatory?

Thanks for your help!

There is a controlled substance course and you should definitely take it.  If you don't take it then 100% of your charts containing a prescription for a schedule II drug must be co-signed vs only 20% if you take the course. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 7:50 AM, Andrew0568 said:

Just curious how long it took others to get their CA state license approved after receiving their PANCE results? Thanks!

Edit: Just FYI. You can submit your PANCE score directly to the PA board electronically. This is NOT done automatically, however; you have to go to your NCCPA dashboard and choose to send your score. Once the board has your PANCE score they'll release state licenses electronically on Fridays

Took my friend and I about 1 month after getting our Pance results. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just need to say, holding licenses in both California and Texas.....California's license dept is 1000x better then Texas.  Not even close.  Every time I call the Ca dept, I speak to a wonderfully helpful and nice lady.  Not sure her name, but they are awesome.  The TX license dept has on average a 1 hour hold time, and then you speak to people that are flat out ugly and dismissive.  This really adds nothing to this thread, but I just felt the Cali board deserved a shout out.  

Archived