NEW GRAD IM OFFER IN FL

Hi everyone,

So I just received an offer for a multi physician IM primary care office as new grad in FL. The internist and her PA are very willing to train. They asked me to come up with a base salary and from what I could gather, I figured 85K was a good starting point.

They counter offered with 80K but the manager told me I could definitely counter with a bit higher and it should be ok.

Specs: 

I'm thinking of counter offering 83K?

productivity bonus (no details)

unknown christmas bonus

mon - fri 8-5 with 1 hour lunch

call every 3rd weekend (phone only)

30 min time slots until comfortable and then I can start having some pts who only need 15 minute time slots

Guessing 15-18 pts a day (current PA there of 2 years is averaging 18-22 a day)

10 days PTO

5 days CME with $1000

401k with 4% match

health benefits (no details)

Unfortunately, no mention of compensation for call, license/certification reimbursement, malpractice coverage, or tail end coverage - I'll contact them tomorrow about it.

I told them I'd have an answer for them by Friday but would really like input on whether this seems like a good first offer. Thanks to any and all advice!!

Up to 85k when changed to have 15 min slots also.

PTO is not sufficient by a lot.

More CME $$, especially important for a new graduate.

Clarify all of those other things too, they are important.

Is the retirement vested?

Call q3 weekend kind of stinks. That is not just a Saturday shift, that is every 3rd weekend where you will be required to limit your activities. If anything, it shouldn't happen until you are comfortable seeing pts in office. FYI, I take phone calls for call occasionally. It is way more disruptive than I ever thought it would be. That is the case even when I don't receive many calls

Hi everyone,

So I just received an offer for a multi physician IM primary care office as new grad in FL. The internist and her PA are very willing to train. They asked me to come up with a base salary and from what I could gather, I figured 85K was a good starting point.

They counter offered with 80K but the manager told me I could definitely counter with a bit higher and it should be ok.

Specs: 

I'm thinking of counter offering 83K? - reasonable but the items below are more important

productivity bonus (no details) - get in WRITING that you will have FULL access to all billing and collection data - otherwise it is worthless

unknown christmas bonus - I would request the amount - it $1000-$5000

mon - fri 8-5 with 1 hour lunch - you will never see a lunch.......

call every 3rd weekend (phone only) - should be built into compensation - figure about $500-1000 per weekend - this is 17 weekends a year that you can not drink, go out of town, be away, or even get a good night sleep

On this topic you MUST determine a few things - are medication refills handled over teh phone on weekends? (HUGE red flag if so - you will get a lot of calls). Office policy - or your policy MUST be no medication refills over phone - yes rarely this will happen but policy should state it does not. Also, must determine rather you have obligation to do any charting based on phone calls. Also do you cover any hospitals or nursing homes when on call. These can be killer to cover.....

Best case - no meds given, no LTC or hospital coverage, would guess only a few calls a day

Worst case - med refills and hospital and LTC calls - horrid calll, missed my uncles funeral as I was on call for a situation like that.... sucks and should be avoided

30 min time slots until comfortable and then I can start having some pts who only need 15 minute time slots - MAX 10-12 per day as new grad, wil increase over first year to 18-20 per day of "typical" PCP paitieents, not the 8= comorbid train wrecks you can get slammed with

Guessing 15-18 pts a day (current PA there of 2 years is averaging 18-22 a day)

10 days PTO - this is HORRID - no way!! I would ask for 4 weeks Vacation, 12 holidays (some small PCP offices are only closed for 5-6), and one week sick/personal

5 days CME with $1000 - 5 days okay - but should be closer to $2500

401k with 4% match - when do you become eligible, when 100% vested?

health benefits (no details) - should pay 100% for you and family

Unfortunately, no mention of compensation for call, license/certification reimbursement, malpractice coverage, or tail end coverage - I'll contact them tomorrow about it.

They need to also step forward for DEA, State License, and all credentialing and licensure fees you have to pay.

I told them I'd have an answer for them by Friday but would really like input on whether this seems like a good first offer. Thanks to any and all advice!!

Overall a pretty crappy offer for my area, BUT you are in FL and I have seen some outrageous low ball offers coming from that state...

Thank you so much everyone! I just contacted the manager in the last hour to ask about fees and renewals for license and certifications as well as tail end coverage and malpractice insurance. Hopefully I get a response soon - and a good one at that!

I will definitely keep everything y'all said in mind so I can negotiate properly!

On the other hand, I have a pain management interview tomorrow - bad or good for a new grad? I have no opinion on pain management yet since I didn't really get too much exposure during rotations.

UPDATE: "We pay for license renewals and malpractice. The annual 1000. CME allowance can be used toward membership in an organization (P.A. association, etc.) and weekend call is built into salary and consists only of a few phone calls so you are able to travel, etc. as long as you can be reached by phone." - IM office manager

I'm not up to speed on the current pay norms in Florida, but this entire package seems awfully low.

• $80k seems very low for IM. Compare to AAPA salary report and online salary data
  • Call every 3rd weekend built into an 80K salary? There should be compensation for you working every 3rd weekend, even if it is only call by phone. Also, call as a new grad is a bit much to take on. I'd be certain to specify when it is you're supposed to be on the call schedule
  • Productivity bonus details must be in writing! Details should be ironed out before officially joining
  • 10 days PTO is rubbish. 15 days is the 50th percentile for practicing PA's according to the most recent salary data
  • $1,000 for CME is low. I'd counter with $2,000 - $2,500. $1,000 won't cover the associated fees and expenses for a conference
  • Health benefits - you want all of this spelled out to you. Who the insurance provider is, what you're deductibles and associated employee costs are, dental/vision/disability, etc

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everybody! I decided to go with another offer. While I think that practicing general medicine would've been a better use of my education, the compensation vs job requirements did not compliment each other. You guys were right it was a crappy offer. They would not go much above the 80K and there was no negotiating room for more than 10 days PTO - it's their standard they said. No overtime pay and compensation for call was built into the salary already. No explanation for how production bonus worked or how much exactly it was ... just that the manager will update me regularly that if i add x amount of patients to my schedule I'd reach a "bonus". Plus the hour + drive I would've had to make to a small (and honestly boring seeming) town until I could've relocated there in a few months didn't seem worth it. Additionally, they were looking for someone to commit long term.

I'm instead going to go with interventional PM. It's 95K with $100/day bonus that I see x amount of pts. 20 days PTO, 8 paid holidays, 1 week CME with $1500. No nights, no call, no weekends. All the benefits, no time frame commitment and it's only 20 minutes from my place!

full training with expectation to start seeing my own full schedule after 1 month - hopefully i can learn the majority of it by then!

Thanks everybody! I decided to go with another offer. While I think that practicing general medicine would've been a better use of my education, the compensation vs job requirements did not compliment each other. You guys were right it was a crappy offer. They would not go much above the 80K and there was no negotiating room for more than 10 days PTO - it's their standard they said. No overtime pay and compensation for call was built into the salary already. No explanation for how production bonus worked or how much exactly it was ... just that the manager will update me regularly that if i add x amount of patients to my schedule I'd reach a "bonus". Plus the hour + drive I would've had to make to a small (and honestly boring seeming) town until I could've relocated there in a few months didn't seem worth it. Additionally, they were looking for someone to commit long term.

I'm instead going to go with interventional PM. It's 95K with $100/day bonus that I see x amount of pts. 20 days PTO, 8 paid holidays, 1 week CME with $1500. No nights, no call, no weekends. All the benefits, no time frame commitment and it's only 20 minutes from my place!

full training with expectation to start seeing my own full schedule after 1 month - hopefully i can learn the majority of it by then!

That's great to hear! I'm just glad you didn't sell our profession short. That IM offer is complete garbage. I think most of my classmates and I won't take anything below 90k first year. Maybe even 100k. 

Archived