New Grad- ER vs Hospitalist

Would like to get a few member's feedback here...

Currently, I'm preparing to enter the world of medicine as new grad Family Practice PA this summer. As much as I enjoy the breadth of Family Medicine.. I'm torn.. because my heart is set on acute care medicine. I enjoyed the pace & complexity of inpatient and Emergency medicine on my rotations. It's unfortunate though, because I have not been able to land even as much as an interview in these specialties due to--having no experience--

I completely understand that it is much easier to hire a PA with experience, who is better equipped to "hit the ground running", but I'm unsure how to obtain the necessary experience it seems to be required to break-in to these specialties. I'm now seriously considering post-grad fellowships in either Hospitalist or Emergency Medicine.

Part of the attraction to becoming a PA was the generalist training that allows us the flexibility to work in several specialties. I'm concerned completing a fellowship will pigeon-hole me in to a single specialty.

Hypothetically, if I completed a Hospitalist fellowship and decided 5-10yrs down the line--after growing professionally-- that ER or urgent care was a better fit, would I be able to make the switch? I understand the basic differences between ER and inpatient medicine, but they are definitely some coinciding characters as well. 

Thoughts & opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

I disagree with Eric on this one.  Our group has had several successful Hospitalist to Full-Scope EM PAs but when its done the other way around, you get hosed by the learning curve that is EM.  Unless you have strong EM experience as a medic (and medic only that has done thousands of calls with critical care work) such that you can focus on the ambulatory care of EM, either do am EM residency if you want EM or start as a hospitalist.  EM is about knowing your job and the first steps of everyone else's job.  Hospitalists are hospitalists and can pull in consults as needed.  different mindsets and at least within our group, it has always been easier going from hospitalist to EM PA than the other way around.

Love ya E,

G

Archived