I'm about to graduate from Boise State University with my BS in Health Sciences. I'm thinking about applying to PA school but needed advice on finding the right schools to apply for. I don't have the best cumulative GPA sitting at right around 3.3 and will probably finish right around the 3.4 range. Although some of my lower grades are from classes that I took in high school. Most of my pre requisites I got As with a few Bs and then one C in biochemistry. I haven't taken the GRE yet  and will take it sometime next year since I won't be applying for at least another year. I also haven't taken general biology because I know that some programs don't require it. 

For Health Care Experience I have roughly 2,600 hours as a radiology tech assistant in both an outpatient and inpatient setting, 416 volunteer hours as a Community Health Worker at a free and charitable clinic, and then I recently took a job as the Community Health Coordinator at the same clinic where I will work for the next two years full time. I also have a lot of leadership experience in school, at church, and the community. 

My question is what are some schools that would value my experience in Community Health, having a mid to low GPA wouldn't be a huge deterrent, and I wouldn't have to go back and take general bio for?

My dream schools are Duke and Baylor but I know that both of those programs are very competitive and I'm not exactly the most competitive applicant. I'm just looking for a few programs that I might have a shot at.

Any and all advice is welcome! Thanks all!

First try checking these out... http://paprogramsearch.com/ and http://directory.paeaonline.org

There are so many factors when it comes to choosing what schools to apply to and you know yourself best! Figure out what is important to you in a program and then find schools that meet those criteria. Try looking at cost, location of school, PANCE pass rate, admission requirements, graduate employment location, accreditation, type of degree, class size, etc. 

Do yourself a solid favor and retake biochem and get that grade up. Most schools want the pre-reqs to be A's, and this will be a good way to show them you are serious. Duke looks at the applicant as a whole since they have more of a holistic approach. Focus on the GRE, and getting those pre-reqs up and you should do well.

"Holistic review" of applicants is what you are seeking in a program. This is often mentioned on the program websites and sometimes is mentioned where matriculating student stats are to help explain an average GPA of 3.4 or whatever it may be for that class being a little lower than what you'd expect. I can't recommend programs that don't need general bio, pretty sure all of mine did require it but several were "holistic review" type of programs.

A's in Biochem are mentioned specifically as something that some programs are looking for that will help applicants stand out, so I agree with the above comment.

I'm in a similar GPA range as you with much less HCE and interviewed at a top 10 school and others further down the list of rankings. It was all over the board but I scored interviews at the schools I really loved all at the top of my list. Holistic review can really be your friend!

Another thing I just remembered that may help you search: I noticed a good number of "holistic" programs I applied to had a D.O. Program as well rather than MD for the med school they had, so it may be helpful to search for schools with a D.O. Program since the osteopathic/holistic philosophy is often shared throughout the institution but bear in mind you may be taught on more of an osteopathic model if you attend one of these programs since some of them share courses/professors with the med school.

I just want to emphasize how much Duke uses a holistic review for their applicants. I wasn't the most competitive applicant during my first and only cycle. I had the minimum 1000 HCE hours for many programs, including Duke's, had average GPAs (around 3.6) , mediocre GRE scores, and had just graduated from undergrad. You don't have to be stellar in all aspects of all of your application, but you do need to stand out. I want to say it was my leadership roles and community involvement that I did during undergrad and my personal statement that landed me an interview.

It's a difficult journey applying to PA school. I say, even if you have the minimum in some aspects of a program's requirements, do not let that stop you from applying. You never know what will happen if you do not try.

Also- Duke doesn't require biochem :)  I am going to Duke, and I never took it.  I was enrolled to take it- but I got the Duke acceptance early enough to not take the class.  A lot of schools don't require biochem... but if you are going to apply to schools that require it, then definitely recommend retaking it

Good luck!

Archived