Going into oncology straight out of PA school.

I don't speak from personal experience, but from second hand information and observation so take what I say with a grain of salt. I shadowed a PA in oncology in a well known local hospital. She got the job through networking right out of school. She did say there was a steep learning curve, but felt school had well prepared her for the task. She said she spent the first year working and studying, trying to learn as much about oncology as she could. I don't know anything about oncology certification, or if it was required, although I don't believe it was. I would suggest you start making connections in that field. Best of luck! The PA I shadowed loved her job.

From the looks of my job search/e-mail, oncology PAs are in pretty good demand straight out of school - definitely one of the more lucrative areas.  I know at least two of my classmates did it without any trouble.  I'm sure there were more.

We had a significant amount of Oncology in Pharm, but I don't think that's common - we were on PhD level. 

Seems like maybe one of those niches very few want to go into.  

So I am a prospective PA student interested in oncology. I was wondering what the requirements were for becoming an oncology certified PA. Is there a residency? Are you paid during residency (how much?). 

Residencies are never required for PAs in fields.  TBH there just aren't enough for everyone to do one even if it was highly recommended.

There is also no CAQ for oncology for PAs - those are essentially the only additional certifications PAs can obtain.

You've got a lot of researching to do to understand the field before you start worrying about specializing.

Archived