offers comparo

summary

1.  out to pasture a little bit.  more focused on that specialty.  pay is a little better.  sort of calm environment, short commute.  no cme time or $

2.  more cutting edge, exciting environment with the truly sick/injured.  cool work environment (we'll see).  longer commute, but ok.  CME time/$

Both sound good. Second offer seems better since they offer 401k, match 4% and then 12% after 5 years, and then yearly 5% contribution. I didn't see anything about health insurance coverage or annual review/raise, but I know you said you didn't get everything on that first phone call. Working with residents and "filling in the gaps" might be frustrating, but the "unlimited opportunity" sounds enticing. In addition to the 20 days PTO, do you also get holidays? Unlikely since it's trauma... Work environment also seems up your alley, which is also important. Commuting sucks, but hey, you can't always have it all, unfortunately.

First one has nice incentives which might compensate for the no match. But the no match, no CME $, and only first $180 of health covered lessen the deal... The automatic yearly raise is nice. So is the extremely short commute and 26 PTO plus holidays. More OR time is a plus.

both are only reasonable........

BUT

the ONE thing you MUST look at is the learning curve and mentoring....

new grads - this is a MUST thing - which one do you think is going to teach you more and be a better foundation job???  that is the answer as you will likely quit this job in a few years anyways....

(but I would insist on CME $$ and days)

Things to consider:

If you are looking to eventually get back to EM and are deciding between jobs #1 and #2, I think the clear winner is the trauma/SICU position.

Do you prefer inpatient or clinic work?

Do you prefer working independently or as part of a team?

I currently work in transplant surgery doing inpatient post-op care. I imagine it would be similar to position #2 in many ways. I rarely get into the OR and at first was ok with that, but am now trying to come up with a proposal to get more OR experience. It's is harder work, but I really enjoy the inpatient environment and have no interest in going back to clinic.

If you have any interest in breaking into critical care, offer 2 sounds like a great place to start. Don't focus so much on salary, benefits, etc at your landing spot post graduation. Treat it like a residency, get experience managing critically ill patients and become proficient with intubations, central lines etc.

I'm almost 3 years out of graduation at this point. When I graduated, I knew I wanted critical care, and drove 120 miles a day for 2 years to gain that experience making 80k.

I took that experience and landed my dream job making over 50% more with sweet benefits doing solo critical care coverage at a community hospital, my dream gig.

So my advice, find that job in whatever field you see yourself, where you can be mentored and hone your craft.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived