PA career consideration

I am a high school student who I will soon go off to college. I'm still not sure what career I want, however being a physician surgical assistant is one of my top options. I've read that I need a bachelors and masters degree, but I'm confused with the process of becoming PA, so I was wondering if someone could help me. So here are my questions:

1. Is the career too expesive?

2. I've read that I need healthcare experience so I could be able to get accepted to a PA program, if so then how could I earn the healthcare experience ? Is it during college or after? How much experience do I need ?

3. What should my major be? Which classes should I need to during college?

4. How long is the PA program ?

Every answer/advice will be highly appreciated !

It sounds like you have a lot of your own research to do. I would suggest that you start off with Google. Then visit your school counselor and make a list of other interesting career fields. Research these, too. Once you have a basic idea of the PA career and other careers, then read around on this forum, specifically the Pre-PA section.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a high school student who I will soon go off to college. I'm still not sure what career I want, however being a physician surgical assistant is one of my top options. I've read that I need a bachelors and masters degree, but I'm confused with the process of becoming PA, so I was wondering if someone could help me. So here are my questions:

2. I've read that I need healthcare experience so I could be able to get accepted to a PA program, if so then how could I earn the healthcare experience ? Is it during college or after? How much experience do I need ?

(1)  PA school is actually one of the best jobs as far as bang for the buck...ratio of average early yearly earnings vs cost of school is pretty good, far better than social work school or even med school for the first 15 years.    Guesstimate about $50,000-100,000 for the whole program, depending.

(2) As much as you can get, assume something like hundreds or a thousand hours of general medical contact and 50-200 hours (officially, at least) of shadowing a PA...volunteer at local hospitals, take a medical assistant course and get a part time job in n medical office, etc etc...get as many names as possible, network.

(3) Varies as far as major, probably sciences is best, but for coursework need to take all usual premed courses, same as doctor, usualy including organic chem.

(4) typically 24-36 months.

Of course, make sure medicine is what you really want to do!

• 1 month later...

Congrats on the transition coming up soon!

I agree with quietmedic above.

One other thing: a central reason I chose to go the PA route was because I got to know some incredible PA mentors. If you volunteer somewhere, get to know the PAs, ask a lot of questions and try to have them connect you with other PAs that are doing the type of work you envision yourself in.

EMT is also a way to accumulate healthcare experience but look and see what type of jobs are available in entry level healthcare fields where you live. It may be easier to find a job (and thus gain experience) as a CNA or MA. There are also non-traditional routes to gain experience. A lot of schools will list what they accept on their website.

Good luck!

Archived