Army PA to Civ. First Contract

Looking for some advice on first PA job outside Army. I will be transferring the the national guard to finish my 20yrs as well

Urgent Care job in Alaska, 13 12hr shift a month. New rural hospital affiliated clinic. I will be doing phleb, labs, helping with xray, hanging my own IVs, drawing/mixing and giving meds etc... We will have an xray tech and 2 MAs, no nursing staff (just like Army)

Base: 118,000/yr with an additional 970/shift over the 13/month. 119,800 after first year.

Bonus: 10k signing bonus

Loan: 5k/yr repayment

Med: basic covered, 100/pay period for premium blue cross. No hospital related fees (labs, xray, hospital stay)

401k match up to 3%

MalP/tail: Covered

Contract Length: 36months

CME: 3500, 5 days

Professional: 1500

PTO: 120 hours

My rebuttal:

Im asking for 129,000/yr with 1-2% increase after first year performance eval. Contract length 24/months. My reason will be this will allow myself and the hospital to objectively discuss the performance of the new UC. This is a hospital affiliated UC. Also, because of all the extra duties and location, I feel this job should fall in the upper 75th percentile of the AAPA salary report.

Remember, this is AK and COL is HIGH.

Does this all seem reasonable? Thanks for the help!

Challenging situation

EMD needs to chime in as well but this is my two cents

Your filling the roll of a doc - doc's don't work for $120k per year - they need to pay more

BUT

Your scope of practice and on the job enjoyment might be worth it.

COLA is a HUGE deal in AK and the depending on where this is it might be the same as a 80k offer in the lower 48...... need more info - do you have a COLA estimate %??

I agree, solo provider coverage. I think the first year-2 years it will be low census until the reputation is out and people know about the clinic. Real nice, modern brand new clinic.

I think COL is about on par with seattle,wa. Less for real estate. No state income tax.

Job seems like what I do now with more time off and no deployments and out of town/field training. Thanks for the help

Ok

So Anchorage UC position

Solo coverage (means they are seriously pinching pennies as the clinic get going as ANC is > 250,000 people)

I would honestly think you are in a better spot then you think

They are just trying to low ball you with the volume issue - and hoping to get you cheap - which you should think long and hard about

You are going to fill the slot of a doc

You should be paid close to that of a doc - doesn't matter rather you are busy or not - you are still there ready willing and able to work -

I would honestly say you need to be in the 150k range for a typical work week

Are you familiar with Alaska? The location is actually about an hour or 2 from there, but use anchorage because it's such a large state. Pop around 10-20k in the area, but the hospital is in anchorage. It's an outreach UC

lived in ANC for 4 years

yup

if you are not in ANC then you COLA is a lot higher....

I would say 150k

Okay, thanks for all the help. I'll see what they come back with. It looks like if I get the desired salary 129-132yr(first 2), 5/k a year loans and the 10k bonus, I will be sitting at about 140/yr for the first 2 years. With a 24month contract, I can renegotiate at that point. I'm thinking for job out of the Army, this should be reasonable and fairly close to the 150k most are recommending. With the potential of 980/shift over 13, I should be able to hit that 150 mark in a year

Without addressing the above, the PTO time is pretty limited. 120 hrs is 3 weeks. 1 week for CME. This is going to be an enjoyable, but stressful job. You are going to need extra time to get anywhere from Alaska. You are still working 36 hrs a week and you should be rewarded with PTO that is more consistent with full time work. I understand this may be difficult with solo coverage, but you could use it as a bargaining chip also. 

Archived