Hi! I am considering moving out of the county temporarily for a few months and doing HCE in either Canada or maybe India. I already have about 1000 paid hours working in the US and plan to apply to PA school this year. The other components of my application are strong, although I am in the younger demographic of applicants. Do you think doing international healthcare work is a good idea before I apply to PA school? Do most schools consider it legitimate experience? Will it help or hurt my applications? My other consideration is working as a health educator in a pregnancy crisis center for minority communities in the U.S. I would really appreciate some constructive input! Thanks!

P.S: please no random arguments or opinions about topics irrelevant to the actual question I asked, I would really appreciate it!

Guest HanSolo

Sounds like a great idea. You'll have an appreciation for how different systems work, and it will help you stand out amongst the crowd. Plus, I am sure it will be fun!

As long as all of your hours aren't international (which doesn't appear to be the case for you), it'll make for a nice addition to your application. You'll be able to compare and contrast various aspects of medicine as well as highlight your ability to interact with folks from various different backgrounds. 

It is probably on par with domestic experience, no better or worse.

P.S: please no random arguments or opinions about topics irrelevant to the actual question I asked, I would really appreciate it!

PS: The temptation was too much. The Yankees and Red Sox suck. Hockey fans are dumb. Global warming is a fraud.

Archived