AT Still 2017-2018 Applicants

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was my first interview last year so I went in super nervous, which I think was a big downfall. But from what I remember it was a decently large group at each interview (30ish) and you take a tour, have lunch and then have two different individual interviews throughout the day. All of the faculty and students were super nice and I learned a lot about the program, including (fun fact) that a decent portion of the class has to go out of state for clinical rotations. I don't feel like that is broadcasted on their website very well so I was a little surprised last year. 

Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone this cycle. 

Who did you interview with and how many people interviewed you? Was it a one to one or group?

I was invited for an interview this morning, too! I was really surprised because I submitted my secondary application a week ago and I can't believe how soon the interview is.

It's awesome to see that other people on this forum are also going to be there; this resource has created a community. 

To answer some questions above, the invite was extended via email and then I was directed to log on the ATSU portal and select interview and find the date available. The only one I saw was July 26th so I figured this is their first round of interviews. 

My stats are:

Graduated from ASU with BS in Microbiology 

Caspa sGPA: 3.75, non-science: 3.83, BCP 3.79

2,400 direct PCE as patient care assistant (CNA), 400 hours as an ATA for Human A&P Lab, 300 hours volunteer youth ministry (church), 50 hours volunteering at a non-profit clinic and continuing, and 20 hours shadowing from clinic

My GRE scores were 55% for both math and verbal, and 82% for writing.

I feel pretty average as far as stats go and I think my essays helped me stand out because of my desire to become a primary care PA.

I also received an interview invite on 6/26 and am scheduled for 7/26! :) I'm so excited to meet everyone! 

To answer to the post above, I'm a first-time applicant & my stats are 3.9 GPA, ~400 hours HCE as home health aide, ~100 hours scribe, and a year worth of volunteer in underserved.

1 hour ago, Pez said:

They are clearly pulling from the highest GPA applicants.  

...my biggest fear.  This will make for a long and painful wait for those of us who are foreign-educated and did not benefit from American grade inflation.  My undergraduate program had a 68% scaled average to it and was already at a highly competitive school with very low acceptance rates--graduating with anything over a 3.3 GPA was quite impressive.  I'm hoping they use my American graduate program GPA (>4.0) instead.  

Is anyone else in the same boat re: grade inflation and foreign education?  Has the University ever addressed this with anyone?

-Q.

1 hour ago, QuassEE said:

...my biggest fear.  This will make for a long and painful wait for those of us who are foreign-educated and did not benefit from American grade inflation.  My undergraduate program had a 68% scaled average to it and was already at a highly competitive school with very low acceptance rates--graduating with anything over a 3.3 GPA was quite impressive.  I'm hoping they use my American graduate program GPA (>4.0) instead.  

Is anyone else in the same boat re: grade inflation and foreign education?  Has the University ever addressed this with anyone?

-Q.

This type of rhetoric implies a sort of superiority complex. I would tread lightly on using this type of rhetoric to explain why you achieved sub-par grades since it will be almost inevitable that some sort of explanation will be necessary to the admissions committee during the interview. 

Just now, Pez said:

This type of rhetoric implies a sort of superiority complex. I would tread lightly on using this type of rhetoric to explain why you achieved sub-par grades since it will be almost inevitable that some sort of explanation will be necessary to the admissions committee during the interview. 

Excellent advice.  I don't think it's in good taste to address American grade inflation with any American post-secondary institution, really.  I was more attempting to provide enough details to gain some insight, were any to be had.

-Q.

There are still many interview dates to come. The school doesn't look at just grades. While both of us have high GPAs, we also have a dedication to serving the underprivileged in our communities. I've talked about my teaching experience (ATA) in my personal statement, patient care experience (CNA) in a hospital and tied it into how it has motivated me to pursue being a PA, as well as my volunteer experiences in my local community through a non-profit clinic and how it has inspired me to give back in primary care. Everyone comes from a different walk of life, and we have to find the strengths in our stories that will help guide us into being great providers. As long as you meet the requirements, I reckon you'd have a chance if you've conveyed your motivations for becoming a PA and if they find those motivations a match for their program's focus. In essence, I'm just trying to uplift those who are still waiting to hear back. It's a long journey, and I'm sure you have a lot to offer and your programs will see that as long as you remain dedicated and continue to grow as an applicant. 

1 hour ago, ajames said:

There are still many interview dates to come. The school doesn't look at just grades. While both of us have high GPAs, we also have a dedication to serving the underprivileged in our communities. I've talked about my teaching experience (ATA) in my personal statement, patient care experience (CNA) in a hospital and tied it into how it has motivated me to pursue being a PA, as well as my volunteer experiences in my local community through a non-profit clinic and how it has inspired me to give back in primary care. Everyone comes from a different walk of life, and we have to find the strengths in our stories that will help guide us into being great providers. As long as you meet the requirements, I reckon you'd have a chance if you've conveyed your motivations for becoming a PA and if they find those motivations a match for their program's focus. In essence, I'm just trying to uplift those who are still waiting to hear back. It's a long journey, and I'm sure you have a lot to offer and your programs will see that as long as you remain dedicated and continue to grow as an applicant. 

Well said! As my GPA is similar and I have over 9,600 hours of direct patient care as a nurse (not-for-profit community health center) 105 hours of charity work, and 400 hours of PA Shadowing including working side-by-side, that may not be enough. Perhaps my essay was not fine tuned, or my mission not in line with the program. This is my first time applying to PA programs and have learned a lot already from the process. There are more interview dates to come and last minute acceptance's to offer. Thanks to all for sharing. I remain hopeful. Congrats to all who get an interview! 

Sumitted and completed supplemental application May 23rd. 

On 6/27/2017 at 10:04 PM, schiersm said:

Received an interview invite yesterday for July 26th! Hope to meet some of you next month!

Hi! I am interviewing on the 26th as well! :)

For those of you concerned about your GPA, mine isn't all that amazing. My undergrad GPA was only a 3.3, but my graduate GPA was a 3.84. I think what possibly makes me stand out is my 15 years of clinical experience, the last 10 as a registered dietitian. So, we all have different strengths. I like to (optimistically) think that schools look more holistically at applications and don't focus on one portion that may be a weaker spot.

The real question is, has anyone received rejections yet? As far as interviewing "high GPA" candidates, the PA forum is a very small sample size of the applicant pool and any generalizations about who they're interviewing shouldn't be made based on things here. Not to mention that the forum format includes anonymity which may encourage some individuals to artificially inflate their stats (not calling anyone out, but this is the internet where everything is true).

I'm slightly disappointed not to have received an invite to interview yet, but as mentioned above, there are tons of interviews yet to happen! Stay optimistic out there

Hi! 

I am so sorry to be so slow in response to this! I received an email on the 27th of June for an interview on 26 July 2017. 

I am a second time applicant, my first cycle of interviews I only received one interview. 

This cycle so far I have received interviews at two schools( AT Still and North Greenville University) . 

I will be the first one to say that my stats, for undergrad, are not great, but I made up for it, I hope, in my graduate GPA. 

* Boli- I wouldn't be concerned this is really early in the cycle. I am honestly shocked that I received invites this early. 

Is anyone coming from out of the area for the interview? I am coming in from California( so not too far). Would anyone like to meet up for dinner the night before the interview? We did this at my last interview( first time doing it) and it seemed to really help calm some of the nerves. 

PS I have received my first rejection email of the cycle; it was via email before my first interview that I had. 

2 hours ago, MelissaW83 said:

Hi! 

I am so sorry to be so slow in response to this! I received an email on the 27th of June for an interview on 26 July 2017. 

I am a second time applicant, my first cycle of interviews I only received one interview. 

This cycle so far I have received interviews at two schools( AT Still and North Greenville University) . 

I will be the first one to say that my stats, for undergrad, are not great, but I made up for it, I hope, in my graduate GPA. 

* Boli- I wouldn't be concerned this is really early in the cycle. I am honestly shocked that I received invites this early. 

Is anyone coming from out of the area for the interview? I am coming in from California( so not too far). Would anyone like to meet up for dinner the night before the interview? We did this at my last interview( first time doing it) and it seemed to really help calm some of the nerves. 

PS I have received my first rejection email of the cycle; it was via email before my first interview that I had. 

I'm coming in from Texas and love the idea of meeting up before! :) 

5 hours ago, MelissaW83 said:

Hi! 

How did the NGU interview go? was it really only 3 hours of MMI?

Hello everyone,

I am so excited to be connecting with all of you guys on this forum. Congrats to all those who have had an interview date already especially this July. I applied in May and completed their Secondary about a week later.

I received an invite yesterday morning for an interview for 8/09.

does anyone have their interview set for this date?

For those of you who have interviewed here before, is there a place I could possibly put my luggage (just a backpack) at the campus at the start of the interview day? My checkout from the hotel is at noon and won't be able to store it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you who have interviewed here before, is there a place I could possibly put my luggage (just a backpack) at the campus at the start of the interview day? My checkout from the hotel is at noon and won't be able to store it there.

You can leave it with the security guards at the front desk!

Archived