Interesting from the AAPA - shows where PA's are challenged.

What the @!$!.  This is crazy!  Why would the AAPA create such a document that paints a bad picture of us? The statements to me clearly support reasons to hire an NP over a PA.  

Because the last 20 years of the AAPA sticking their heads in the sand didn't work....

Because we have to identify the problem, study it, and come up with a solution that works.....

Because http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/42163-an-example-of-where-np-have-won/

What the @!$!.  This is crazy!  Why would the AAPA create such a document that paints a bad picture of us? The statements to me clearly support reasons to hire an NP over a PA.  

It doesn't paint a bad picture of us. It spells out some very compelling reasons why we need to be working on full practice authority and reevaluate our relationship with physicians. If we don't wake up and smell the coffee we are going to find ourselves in a very bad position.

The AAPA didn't create a document that paints a bad picture. They surveyed PAs, retired PAs and students. They asked many important questions. The presented the data in a compelling manner. The picture is bad. The pixels in this picture are a constellation of opinions sampled by the AAPA. Nothing more. Perhaps some of you naysayers and fence riders will recognize the problems the PA profession faces. I will say it again. Stop reading if my mantra is unpalatable. The PA profession will not be in existence in ten years unless and until reboarding ceases and PAs win 50 state independent practice. One can disagree with my conclusion but the premise for the conclusion is indisputable. The AAPA survey confirms the premise. 

So what is the next step? When, and How is this going to get into the hands of state legislature to make a vote on? Is there a timeline on this?

Well, any state chapter write a draft of legislation and present it to the state anytime they want. Before it can become AAPA policy though, we have to present the task force findings.

this will be voted on in the HOD in May at AAPA. contact your state and specialty organizations and encourage them to vote yes. I just asked my specialty society what their stance is on this. if they are voting no I will likely not renew my membership and tell them why.

Archived