An example of where NP have won....

I have taken out the personally identifiable info in this email thread - but the point remains.

Will NOT hire a PA as we are DEPENDENT and they THINK we have to have a doc on site to see patients. But NPs are INDEPENDENT and they don't need a doc on site....

To those that say - it is fine to be dependent, and that is what we signed up for, and that it doesn't effect the future job market - please read below.......

(And I am a 15 yr PA with 10+ years in IM and Geri and have been invovled in LTC facilities for > 10 years)

---------------------------------------------

Hi _____,

I wish this wasn’t the case, but that particular practice cannot hire physician assistants, and my below explanation is my understanding of the situation, but I could be wrong about the reason. I will follow up with them and let you know if they will reconsider.

Thanks,

Recruiting Associate

TeamHealth

teamhealth.com | facebook.com/teamhealth | @TeamHealth

Fortune “World’s Most Admired Companies” – 2015, 2016

Becker’s Hospital Review “150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare” – 2015, 2016

Forbes “America’s Most Trustworthy” Companies – 2014

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 11:51 AM

To:

Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Following up

_______

I am unsure where you heard that the Doc needs to be onsite as that is not a requirement with MASS state law. In fact the only difference in MASS is that I do not need the doc's name on the scripts, and I need to notify the doc of every Sch II med written, as compared to an NP who only has to notify if a new or change in dose.

I have previously rounded independently in numerous LTC facilites.

In fact I have previously owned my own practice where I meet with my physician once a quarter to review patient charts and prescribing and that was it.

I would happily provide the legislation/regulation to this effect as well.

The current supervising phsycian you employ for NPs can also supervise me with out any issues.

I am fully credentialed with Medicare and can bill all under my own PIN, same as NP's in a LTC environment.

_____

To:

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 9:08 AM

Subject: Following up

Hello _______,

I received your inquiry about positions available in the _______ area.

Unfortunately, the facilities that we work with in that area do not have physicians on site full time, so they are staffed with independent nurse practitioners and we are unable to hire PAs.

Thank you for your interest in TeamHealth.

Sincerely,

Recruiting Associate

teamhealth.com | facebook.com/teamhealth | @TeamHealth

Fortune “World’s Most Admired Companies” – 2015, 2016

Becker’s Hospital Review “150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare” – 2015, 2016

Forbes “America’s Most Trustworthy” Companies – 2014

Honestly this has affected me too.

I applied for a position in a private practice environment. The job post said NP but since I was qualified for the job, I applied anyway.

I got a call, while talking to the physician, I mentioned that I was a PA. She said she didn't know I was a PA.She said she wants to hire an NP so she can be off from work sometimes. PAs need a physician on site at all times. I informed her that she only needed to be reachable and not be on site at all times. I went online, got the state regulations and sent it to her.

Didn't hear from her. My guess is that she went for a NP. This is not good for our profession.

I think this is more of a local facility thing. Teamhealth staffs a facility based on that facilities wants and needs.  Check with the facility HR staff and see if it is true.  The recruiter could be wrong, or it is a facility rule.

I work for Teamhealth.

I have worked in this facility in the past, and left on great terms (was a private practice employee)

it is not a facility level issue......  it is TeamHealth 

Archived