What would you have wanted to know before PA school?

Hi All,

I am currently in my first semester of didactic year (suffering through midterms), and so far things are going well! I'm doing well in my classes, and I am enjoying it. In undergrad, I founded my university's Pre-PA Society, for students interested in the profession. With that said, during my spring break, I am going to speak at one of the Pre-PA meetings at my undergrad regarding what it's like being a PA student, as well as how the application process and interviews work.

With that in mind, could you share some information that you would have liked to know before you applied to or started PA school? For instance, what is something that you've found out while in practice, or in school, that you would have liked to know back when, that you think would be beneficial for me to share?

Thanks for any help.

Pre-PAs need to be aware a few things:

1. This is a working profession. By that I mean our value in the system is to see patients for a lower cost than physicians. For the most part there is no seat at the lofty academic table for PAs, few business or consulting opportunities, and a fairly uniform pay ceiling. You advance in your fund of knowledge and experience level, but not so much professionally.

2. There are still plenty of job opportunities for PAs, but the competition is getting stiffer due to market saturation with new grads. Many of the "good" jobs are taken by experienced PAs, and what's left for the new grad are meat-grinder type jobs that have high turnover.

3. The whole NP vs PA thing is overblown, despite what our vocal dissenter says here. Yes, they have independence in quite a few states, and there is preferential hiring in some markets. But this alone is not a reason to avoid the profession. PAs, especially experienced PAs, are viable.

4. Burnout is a real thing and seeing patients all day everyday is not quite as cool as you imagined it as a student. Dont get me wrong, it is nice when you can help someone and use your skills to make important decisions, but it's not like you're part of House's team solving zebra cases all day. Lots of demands you never foresaw and administrative pressures can chip away at you.

5. Dont expect a smooth transition to working life right out of school. Many practices can and will take advantage of you, giving you unreasonable workloads with little guidance. Employers promise big and deliver small. The reality is practices are businesses and they need providers to turnover patients and make money, without making anyone else's workday more difficult.

The above is for people who have already committed to the PA path. For someone who is on the fence? I would say don't do it. It's too stressful and there is too much responsibility to do this because it sounds like a "good job".

Basically dont just jump on PA because Forbes or US News tells you it is a good way to go.

Agreed. Pre-PAs, do your homework on what the PA career is really like. It is a very large time, energy, money, and social commitment. For the right person, it can be a great career. Try other things first and get some actual healthcare experience. Not only will it make you a better provider but it will make the learning curve just a little less steep.

Thank you all so much for the detailed responses! It can be hard at times, as a naive student, to have the foresight to see into the real logistics and daily work-life of a practicing PA. I will definitely advise the students to really consider what it is that they want from the profession. Again, thanks everyone!

Archived