Job search while in school

Hi all, 

I am graduating school in August, but am curious when most start actively searching for jobs and applying. 

I am interested in trying to land a job with an ortho who worked in the same office that my ortho preceptor worked (he was employed by the hospital and not the practice) and does not have a PA. He told me at the end of my rotation that he may be interested come graduation. How should I go about contacting him to see if he is still interested in hiring? 

Also, curious about what a reasonable starting salary would be for a new grad in West Virginia, any input would be appreciated!

Sorry for the loaded post, just needing some advice! Thanks!

• Administrator

3-6 months prior to licensure is a good time to start looking.  If you're taking the PANCE 10 days after graduation (I did, I don't see why anyone wouldn't), that means 3-6 months prior to graduation, or maybe less if you live in a state that likes to delay things.

No idea on ortho salaries, unfortunately.

Hi all, 

I am graduating school in August, but am curious when most start actively searching for jobs and applying. 

I am interested in trying to land a job with an ortho who worked in the same office that my ortho preceptor worked (he was employed by the hospital and not the practice) and does not have a PA. He told me at the end of my rotation that he may be interested come graduation. How should I go about contacting him to see if he is still interested in hiring? 

Also, curious about what a reasonable starting salary would be for a new grad in West Virginia, any input would be appreciated!

Sorry for the loaded post, just needing some advice! Thanks!

Agree with rev ronin above.

For me, I treated my rotations as job interviews. I ended up getting a couple good offers while in school, so I didn't actually need to do a traditional job search. I ended up looking around and sending out some applications anyway to familiarize myself in case the offers didn't work out. Most random places weren't interested in talking until I was certified. I also started an application with a recruiter who had contacted me. My recommendation would be to network. The medical community is small and you never know who knows who that may be hiring.

With that said, if you have the orthopod's direct contact info, contact him directly. If not, contact your ortho preceptor and/or the practice manager. I'd advise you to wait since he said he might be interested come graduation, so that to me means around graduation time.

As for new grad salaries in WV, perhaps you can refer to AAPA or PAOS' salary report or talk with other PAs in the area.

I started looking about 6 months before I graduated, but many of my classmates waited a long while.

As for ortho salary, I can't give you any details specifically to WV, and the salary will also depend on what you are actually doing.  Will you be in surgery, or just clinic?  The salary is also based on your overall benefits, especially any productivity bonus.  I'm making $95,000 base, but received a sign on bonus and will receive a bonus in future years.  Also, my benefits are above average from what I have seen.

Archived