what s good pay for a PA in urgent care?

It varies significantly by area and demand. Could be as low as $60 or as high as $100. Are you working as a part time employee or independent contractor? The tax liability difference is significant and should be reflected in the hourly rate.

If you are working through a locums company they are going to try to get you to work for as little as possible because they have an hourly rate and the more you make the less they get. I stopped even talking to them because the difference between their offers and what I could find on my own was as much as $25/hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Re Locums- I am between positions, awaiting credentialing and took some locums work. I saw the contract (the company I was doing the work for sent the contracted hours) and... they are getting 130/Hr.   I am getting paid 55/hr. Thats a hellofa profit for the company. 

That pisses me off. A lot. 

• 3 months later...

Texas, at least the DFW area is saturated.  There are two PA schools and at least two NP programs here all cranking out hundreds of Mids a year.  The NP programs are literally dumping hundreds of new "online" trained NP's into DFW every year here.  Companies know it and have slashed pay, benefits and PTO time.  One of the places I locum at literally gives no PTO time to it's FT'ers.  None...Zero...Nadda.  Miss a shift?  Your making it up.  Get sick and miss a week?  You don't get paid and your in breach of contract if you don't cram the week back in and make it up.

And LOL to the person who posted $60/hr in San Diego.  That sounds about right for SD.  I think the only way you can work and live in SD is if your PA salary is not your primary household income.  I see a lot of women who live and work there as an add to their spouses job.  Hence a lot work part-time after having kiddo's and they take very low pay.  Heck, everyone wants to live there so I guess I can't blame the companies for lowballing.

On 3/20/2017 at 1:56 PM, Annika Kamberelis PA-C said:

Re Locums- I am between positions, awaiting credentialing and took some locums work. I saw the contract (the company I was doing the work for sent the contracted hours) and... they are getting 130/Hr.   I am getting paid 55/hr. Thats a hellofa profit for the company. 

That pisses me off. A lot. 

That is locums. I used to laugh at them when they would offer me some stupid low rate and I told them my minimum. They would all say "well I'll talk to the employer but I just don't think they will go that high." I would laugh again and tell them to try that nonsense on someone new. They have a contract at a fixed rate and the less they pay me the more they make. There is no "going back to the employer."

This is a good point.  Most know this, but for those that don't...If you agree to have a locum agency present you to a company for work, you can not go back to that employer and work for them (usually for about 3 years) without the locum agency getting paid big bucks.  Because of this, most companies will not consider bringing you on full-time even if you love them and they love you.  For me it was VERY much a lifestyle choice.  For the last 20+ years I have worked either Christmas or Thanksgiving.  This year?  Neither.  That was a shock for me and the family.  It is great to choose when I want to work, where I want to work and when I'm done.  Plus, the companies don't seem to crap on the locums like they do their full timers.  The guys I work with are always complaining that locums get first choice of shifts, and it's true...we do.  Plus, when we get a last minute call to work and decide to do it, you arrive as the conquering hero to save the day....Where as a full-timer, try to say no and watch the hate fly your way.  It's a weird dynamic to be honest.

On 7/21/2017 at 5:20 PM, skyblu said:

We pay our per diem PAs $60/hr at my chain of stand-alone UC clinics in greater Boston, regardless of experience.

That's pretty low for an IC.  Especially in a city like Boston.  After taxes that comes out to low $50's

Archived