New grad job offer- Advice please!

I just received a contract for a position at an urgent care/family practice in California and was hoping to get some feedback on it. The contract is offering:

Initial term: 12 months, 36 to 40 hours a week, shifts from 6 to 12 hours including some weekends

Fixed base salary: 46/hour with compensation adjustment at annual review

CME: up to $500/year

PA license renewal fees, NCCPA exam recertification fees, DEA fees, and state prescriber registration fees are covered by the employer

​Health insurance: employer pays up to 80% toward cost of premiums

Professional liability insurance: policy limit of at least $1 million per clam, with an aggregate limit of at least $3 million.

401K: matching starts after 6 months of employment, with 100% vested after 4 years of employment

Sick leave: 40 hours annually

Vacation/Annual/CME leave: 40 hours of paid vacation days for the first year, 80 for the second year

Paid major holidays away from office: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years

Leave of absence: unpaid up to 30 days a year

As a new grad, these terms sound pretty good to me. But I've been offered a higher salary for another job that I turned down. Should I try to negotiate for a higher pay, or just accept these terms as is? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

You've got room to negotiate on some of the terms in my opinion. The offer isn't all that great to be honest. Here are my thoughts:

Fixed base salary: 46/hour with compensation adjustment at annual review. A bit low for Urgent Care but I'm not sure what average pay for UC work in California is.

CME: up to $500/year. Very low. Industry standard should be $1,500-2,000. $500 won't even cover conference fees for most conferences let alone flight or hotel.

PA license renewal fees, NCCPA exam recertification fees, DEA fees, and state prescriber registration fees are covered by the employer

​Health insurance: employer pays up to 80% toward cost of premiums 

Professional liability insurance: policy limit of at least $1 million per clam, with an aggregate limit of at least $3 million.

401K: matching starts after 6 months of employment, with 100% vested after 4 years of employment

Sick leave: 40 hours annually

Vacation/Annual/CME leave: 40 hours of paid vacation days for the first year, 80 for the second year. 1 week of vacation is pretty low. I'd negotiate for at least 2-3 weeks.

Paid major holidays away from office: 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years

Leave of absence: unpaid up to 30 days a year

Four years to vest?

That's a long time.  It's one thing to partially vest every year (25% per year up to 4 years) but I'd be willing to bet they lose a lot of PA's around 3.6 years...

Hi, the contract states: "PA can participate in the 401K with matching provided by the employer.  Eligibility starts after 6 months of employment and will be 100% vested after 4 years of employment.  More details will be provided." 

I guess I should ask for clarification?

Hi, the contract states: "PA can participate in the 401K with matching provided by the employer. Eligibility starts after 6 months of employment and will be 100% vested after 4 years of employment. More details will be provided."

I guess I should ask for clarification?

You need to know how much they match.

5 days of sick and 5 days of pto is low.

$500 CME is low.

No days to attend a conference?

It's not a great offer but maybe you can negotiate it to an acceptable one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi, the contract states: "PA can participate in the 401K with matching provided by the employer.  Eligibility starts after 6 months of employment and will be 100% vested after 4 years of employment.  More details will be provided." [/size]

I guess I should ask for clarification?[/size]

I'd want to know. If you don't vest at all until year 4 that means that if you leave at year 3 and 364 days you'll lose all the money they contributed to your retirement.

Four years to vest?

That's a long time.  It's one thing to partially vest every year (25% per year up to 4 years) but I'd be willing to bet they lose a lot of PA's around 3.6 years...

It's usually set up on a vesting schedule as you suggested, e.g., you own 25% of the money they matched at Year 1, 50% Year 2, 75% Year 3, and finally 100% Year 4. Unless the schedule is simply 100% at Year 4, then yeah, that's a crap shoot since one might not stay that long. This could be lost money if one doesn't hold out for the 4 years. Definitely make sure this is outlined in the 401k summary.

Archived