Giving Poison Control Pt Info

I'm currently a paramedic and premed for PA school. I was on a call with a pediatric patient that attempted suicide with a significant amount of medication, so I called poison control. When I called Poison Control they were more instant than usual on me giving them the patients name. I was not comfortable divulging that information, nor have I ever been. I was curious how others felt about this situation, especially since it was a pediatric patient. Also, if anyone has any insight into the HIPPA standards for this scenario, it would be appreciated.

HIPAA allows you to share information between care givers.  When a clinician at poison control assists in the care of this patient they are now no different than when you arrive at the hospital and you give the patient's info to the nurse or registration staff.  Also, part of poison control's care includes tracking exposures and when needed following up on the patient's care/outcome.  Long story short, yes...this is definitely allowed under HIPAA.  

http://www.ncpoisoncenter.org/body.cfm?id=80 

I agree with Jake - we have had poison control call into the ER and let us know what was on the way. They also usually call to follow up and see how things went. Their info is used to contribute to public health databases related to exposure, and the info remains contained among healthcare providers. It is a legitimate use of medical info.

Archived