Don't get this at all

Anyone who thinks the past should inform our future is sadly mistaken. Circumstances have changed. We must change or die. Focusing on more HCE or admitting more military veterans with combat infantry badges isn't going to save our profession. We need to win 50 state independent practice. The AAPA needs to make that their number one goal. No PA should pay dues to the AAPA unless and until they state that it is their mission to win 50 state independence for PAs. Everything else is just noise. Let's stop with the anecdotal evidence for making changes. Any story that starts with "I worked with someone who did xyz and proved my premise" should be kept to yourself. Please stop this. It shows a lack of intellectual prowess and inability to think strategically. We look like people who deserve to be run over by the NPs.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to deal with the dependent versus independent practice everyday.

Just today.....

1.  the organization is interested in more providers that can round on nursing home patients periodically, but feel it should be an NP since they are independent providers and getting the process approved for PA would be a burden with supervision requirements and dealing with the state board of medicine.

2.  We're a FQHC with 5 different practices.  We have a seasoned PA who we're interested who wants to do per-diem at the different clinics.  Licensing is a burden, the docs don't want the "responsibility of supervising her" at all the different sites, and if they do agree, "want to the be paid" for supervising said PA.  Administration says, "maybe we should just find an NP so we don't have to deal with this".  Hard to argue with their logic.   

3.  The physician has periodic meetings with the PA's as part of supervision agreements.  On one level this is welcome; however, almost never helpful.  Meetings never happen b/t the NP's and physicians.  It eats away at my pride.....hard to underestimate how this is viewed by support staff and administration.......or the simple fact that I'm having a supervisory meeting with a doc while NP's are eating their lunch. 

4.  Local hospital now only hiring NP's except for the surgical practices.  They have a build in nursing senior administrator who effectively advocates for NP's.  It's the same old rhetoric....they're independent, perceived to be better trained (despite the exact opposite), and lower risk to physicians.  They no longer hire PA's in the ER, as hospitalist, or hospital owned primary care practices ect.  About 1-2 years ago, the local ER was very short handed and they called our FQHC clinic looking for per-diem physicians and NP's and would "even consider a PA". 

I wasn't sure it would ever matter, but it has EVERYTHING to do with independent practice and our name (assistants).  Time to modernize the PA profession.  Administrators, physicians, legislators and even patients could care less about our superior training and education to that of NP's.  It's all politics and we need to play the game.   I support name change, awarding doctorate degrees (when compared to other professions, the content of PA education already supports this doctorate degree without change to the educational content), and full independent practice.  Aligning ourselves with physicians doesn't seem to be working. 

• 1 month later...

Archived