CASPA sGPA & science courses

Hello, 

This question may have been asked before, but does anyone know if most programs only look at the science gpa calculated by CASPA? Or do programs recalculate it based off of their required prerequisites only? I feel like this might vary from program to program considering some grade replace but I'm not so sure. 

Also, I am a public health studies major so several of my classes are HLTH classes, which according to CASPA would fall under science courses. However, Health Education is considered a non-science and my major is essentially Health Education and Health Promotion... Should I assume that they will be factored into the science gpa?

I don't plan on applying until next year's cycle, but would like to know so I can attempt to calculate my gpa just to see where I stand. 

Thanks in advance! 

Hello, 

This question may have been asked before, but does anyone know if most programs only look at the science gpa calculated by CASPA? Or do programs recalculate it based off of their required prerequisites only? I feel like this might vary from program to program considering some grade replace but I'm not so sure. 

Also, I am a public health studies major so several of my classes are HLTH classes, which according to CASPA would fall under science courses. However, Health Education is considered a non-science and my major is essentially Health Education and Health Promotion... Should I assume that they will be factored into the science gpa?

I don't plan on applying until next year's cycle, but would like to know so I can attempt to calculate my gpa just to see where I stand. 

Thanks in advance! 

Good question. I was thinking the same thing for the following cycle. I have health care policy classes and ethics classes. It's a public health degree so I am not even sure if any are considered science classes. You must be a MPH student.

I'm actually a BSPH student, so I've taken policy, epi, health education, and various other health courses. Since we're an undergrad program, we're under the Health Education and Health Promotion department and not Public Health like the grad students. It's just confusing because epidemiology, environmental health, public health, and health are all considered "other sciences, but health education classes are not. I wonder if they base it off of the course name itself. It looks like your ethics classes would be a non-science, but I'm not too sure about policy.

If you haven't already, check this link out. It has a list of courses and what category they would fall under. Maybe you'll understand it better than me. 

https://portal.caspaonline.org/caspaHelpPages/frequently-asked-questions/academic-history/course-subjects/index.html 

• 2 years later...