21 replies to this topic

#21 darkjin6920

darkjin6920

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

TinaM - I've been a PA for 6 years, 4 years in Primary Care and 2 Years Urgent care. I've seen 20-25 patients a day 9-6 pm and 40-70 patients a day st Urgent Care 8-9 pm at a big US corporation working 3-5 days a week. Definitely been where you were with anxiety/stress. Made a lot of money (paid off house and student loan), but at the end of the day it's about your health/happiness. Need to move to a different speciality like what people here recommend. Your career is a marathon not a race, don't burn yourself out so early, plenty of jobs out there and you will always have job security .

#22 GoodVibes1313

GoodVibes1313

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:43 AM

Completely understand you, OP. I remember posting on this forum 6 months into my first job as a new grad about the anxiety/stress/burnout I had. It has not gone away but has improved a lot since. My stress was a result of working in primary care in a community health center in a very underserved area w/ complex patients c/o multiple issues, where qty trumps quality and admin don't give a f***. Even though I feel slightly more confident, less stressed out and can get through my day w/o hyperventilating, I don't plan on staying in primary care for very long. It's too exhausting.

While in PA school, my supervising MD suggested that I split my time between two different jobs to avoid burnout, and that is my plan when I leave from here. I won't leave primary care completely because I still want to maintain my general medicine knowledge, but I don't think I can commit 100% of my time to it; again, too exhausting. My plan is to specialize and then work per diem in family practice....or maybe even do something part time that is completely different from medicine. (Sounds good in my head, but how it plays out may be completely different. haha) If we can make it through primary care, we can do any specialty! Best of luck, OP! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users