Second Time Applying. Advice?

So I applied last cycle, 2016-2017, with somewhat of a premature application.

I graduated in May of 2015  with a B.S in Biology and then applied for jobs as a nursing assistant until I finally landed one in Feb 2016. Since then I have been working as a nursing assistant and taking pre-requisites. (was formerly pre-med). My last application had about 800 hours of HCE (including volunteer work and nursing assistant hours). I had an "OK" PS, and 3 decent LORs. My cumulative GPA is 3.4 and science is 3.2. I got no interviews, all rejections from about 9 schools.

This cycle I started shadowing a PA, have spent more time volunteering, working, and booked a medical mission trip to Costa Rica. I am also rewriting my personal statement, getting new LORs, and retaking the GRE, because my last score was below 50th in two of the three areas.

I just don't know what else I can do, because as CASPA gets closer and closer to opening, I am getting worried about reapplying and getting more rejections.

Any advice? 

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan though I don't know if I'd continue volunteering given you only had 800 hours HCE. That time would be better spent accruing PCE. Have you been FT since then?

I'd also take classes to increase your GPA but that sounds unlikely if you are planning on applying this April. In any event if you make the changes you mentioned and apply to a similar amount of schools I think your luck may be better this time around. And if not, then keep doing what you can to make a better app. Best of luck

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan though I don't know if I'd continue volunteering given you only had 800 hours HCE. That time would be better spent accruing PCE. Have you been FT since then?

I'd also take classes to increase your GPA but that sounds unlikely if you are planning on applying this April. In any event if you make the changes you mentioned and apply to a similar amount of schools I think your luck may be better this time around. And if not, then keep doing what you can to make a better app. Best of luck

I haven't been FT, PT which is 24 hours a week. I have gotten up to about 1,600 hours, and plan to be full time in the summer. I am taking medical terminology right now, but just as a pre-requisite to open up a couple more schools I'm interested in.  Thanks!!!

• 8 months later...
On 2/15/2017 at 8:56 AM, youkannaa017 said:

So I applied last cycle, 2016-2017, with somewhat of a premature application.

I graduated in May of 2015  with a B.S in Biology and then applied for jobs as a nursing assistant until I finally landed one in Feb 2016. Since then I have been working as a nursing assistant and taking pre-requisites. (was formerly pre-med). My last application had about 800 hours of HCE (including volunteer work and nursing assistant hours). I had an "OK" PS, and 3 decent LORs. My cumulative GPA is 3.4 and science is 3.2. I got no interviews, all rejections from about 9 schools.

This cycle I started shadowing a PA, have spent more time volunteering, working, and booked a medical mission trip to Costa Rica. I am also rewriting my personal statement, getting new LORs, and retaking the GRE, because my last score was below 50th in two of the three areas.

I just don't know what else I can do, because as CASPA gets closer and closer to opening, I am getting worried about reapplying and getting more rejections.

Any advice? 

Hi, I just read this post. I am interested in hearing how this application cycle went for you. I have very similar stats to yours and I applied this cycle but didn't get in, so I want to know how to improve for next year!

Looks like you're doing what you can. I was in your shoes once, you have better GPA than I do. I am going to link you my stats.

I applied to 11 programs my first cycle and got nothing but cricket noises.  The following cycle I applied to 13 programs and got 3 interviews with an acceptance.

This next cycle, apply earlier!  It's great you're improving a big portion of your application. That is what I did and got accepted this cycle (2nd cycle).  At the minimum you are showing effort and perseverance.

Biggest mistakes from my first cycle, applying to too many big shot programs, did not make sure my stats fell in line with the previous year's matriculating class.  Also, I didn't sell myself and my attributes. My LOR writers beefed them up even more and pointed out my positives, got more healthcare hours, started volunteering at a free clinic, and continued taking a class a semester.  

What was your GRE score in each category?

Here is a link to my stats.

• Administrator

Remember, LOTS of successful PAs didn't get in their first time applying, your truly included.

Sounds like you're hitting all the right areas for someone who got no interviews: GPA, HCE, LORs. Volunteering and shadowing I don't think are quite as important.

Don't overlook mock interviewing!  I probably could have gotten 1-2 more acceptances my second year if I'd interviewed better.  When you DO get an interview, don't do anything less than your best possible, and that means practicing mock questions, however phrased, until you're blue in the face.  Know the PA profession, why you don't want to be anything else, what you'll do if not admitted this cycle, why this particular school, and how to answer tough ethics questions awesomely.

Archived