57 replies to this topic

#21 bbrown41788

bbrown41788

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

thanks; so lets say I pay for my second semester/quarter up front out of my own pocket, then commission--they'll back pay me the tuition, no back pay on the stipend however? Also, if I'm in school and they notify me that I have been accepted, what will it take to become commissioned...at that point is it simply signing the contract and I can begin receiving $ and the rest will comes later (being sworn in etc.) thanks again

#22 SCHMITTIE120

SCHMITTIE120

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

thanks; so lets say I pay for my second semester/quarter up front out of my own pocket, then commission--they'll back pay me the tuition, no back pay on the stipend however? Also, if I'm in school and they notify me that I have been accepted, what will it take to become commissioned...at that point is it simply signing the contract and I can begin receiving $ and the rest will comes later (being sworn in etc.) thanks again

They told me the same thing, It did NOT happen. In order for them to pay you back you have to have to be commissioned for at least one day of that semester. I fought this for a while but in the end I will be paying out of pocket for one semester of PA school. No stipend, no tuition reimbursement. Keep in mind this is the USN HPSP
Drexel Hahnemann Class of 2012
United States Navy PA-C

#23 Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Please re-read my last post. I am telling you flat out that you better make sure you know exactly when you will start getting tuition paid and stipend. The military fiscal year is October to October. The budget is broken down by quarters but more importantly by fiscal year projections.

My colleague graduated her very expensive PA program with only (1) year of paid tuition. She still owes 3 years payback. Yes, she applied on time but was denied for the first year and her app was pushed to the next FY. So it stands to reason why she is not getting retro-pay, right? I mean do you get what I am saying...

I urge you to contact BUMED directly. If you don't know what BUMED is then you haven't done enough research because I have posted the link several times both in recent and old posts and so have my fellow Navy PAs. Also, maybe check out:
www.navypa.org

Caveat emptor Metallicat?:wink:
  • crossbone2007 likes this
-NAVY PA-C

#24 Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

They told me the same thing, It did NOT happen. In order for them to pay you back you have to have to be commissioned for at least one day of that semester. I fought this for a while but in the end I will be paying out of pocket for one semester of PA school. No stipend, no tuition reimbursement. Keep in mind this is the USN HPSP

Sorry this happend to you but it is a fiscal issue. Take comfort in knowing that based on how much your tuition is you still come out on top.

I made $115K this year with all bennies included. If you add how much I am NOT paying in tuition loans then that number is significantly more...

I am telling people this because it is open knowledge and easily available info with a quick google search. Military salaries are dictated by Congress.

So to calculate:

1) you will come in as an O-2 from HPSP (prior service excluded of course and case-by-case).
2) do you have dependents? (spouse, children, dep family members, etc.)
3) what zipcode will you be living in/near? Or will you be overseas? (what are you being offered? you will not know for sure until ~3-6 mos from graduation, but what is likely going to be your first billet?)
4) What bonuses, incentives as an MSC (PA) are you eligible for? (see prior posts, it's all there including the actual instruction)

You will go to a primary care billet 95% of the time. That 5% is for those with significant prior HCE. For example, A PA-C with 14 years of peri-operative experience went to a surgical billet. She also came in as an O-3 with no prior service.

Sorry but 2 years of EM/CC experience is not considered significant. It's not personal people.:;-D:

Edited by Navy PA-C, 13 February 2012 - 12:06 AM.

-NAVY PA-C

#25 SCHMITTIE120

SCHMITTIE120

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

I am aware that I will be coming out on top as my program is at a private university and very expensive so I have no problem footing the bill for one quarter. I was just told by my recruiter that I would be payed back for the previous semester because I had already been selected for the HPSP scholarship but just waiting till Jan. of the new year to be commissioned. I have no hard feelings toward my recruiter who gave me this information, I just took his word for it and didn't do the research for myself. Lesson learned.
United States Navy PA-C

#26 Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

I am aware that I will be coming out on top as my program is at a private university and very expensive so I have no problem footing the bill for one quarter. I was just told by my recruiter that I would be payed back for the previous semester because I had already been selected for the HPSP scholarship but just waiting till Jan. of the new year to be commissioned. I have no hard feelings toward my recruiter who gave me this information, I just took his word for it and didn't do the research for myself. Lesson learned.

Only the first 2 lines of my last reply were directed at you. Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out.
All's good shipmate.:;-D:
-NAVY PA-C

#27 andreakss

andreakss

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

This thread has really been helpful. I applied to PA school this year and have been accepted into 1 program so far and am still waiting to hear back from program #2 where I interviewed last week. Last year, I completed my Navy HSCP application and it has been "hanging out" with my recruiter until I have a letter of admission into a PA program, at which time it will be sent off to the board for review. My recruiter really doesn't seem to know a lot about the program and even admitted that she hasn't processed many PA applicants for the HSCP, so she hasn't been able to answer some of my questions. I'd appreciate it if someone could respond to the following:

1. First of all, if I am accepted for the Navy Health Services Collegiate Program, how much salary / housing allowance will I receive each month? The Navy website says$3,280 to $5,610 for up to 24 months depending on the specialty. I was wondering if you knew exactly how much I would receive as a Physician Assistant student? I am aware that the housing allowance is based on geographical area.

2. Secondly, both programs that I'm pursuing begin in August. When exactly would I begin receiving the Navy salary? Is it from the time I am accepted into the HSCP or would it start when I begin classes or is it based on the October to October fiscal year?

Thanks

#28 choco86

choco86

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi guys!! I am currently a pre-pa taking some pre-req classes. Recently I've been interested in Air Force HPSP. I looked online for a "healthcare profession" recruite and emailed him couple of days ago asking for more information. However, I haven't heard anything from him yet. Should I call him or just wait?
In the mean time, can you guys give me some insight on how to apply, the process or even share your experiences??

Thanks so much!!

#29 Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hi guys!! I am currently a pre-pa taking some pre-req classes. Recently I've been interested in Air Force HPSP. I looked online for a "healthcare profession" recruite and emailed him couple of days ago asking for more information. However, I haven't heard anything from him yet. Should I call him or just wait?
In the mean time, can you guys give me some insight on how to apply, the process or even share your experiences??

Thanks so much!!

I know very little about the USAF HPSP other than what is available with a quick Google search, but AF recruiters are notorious for being hard to track down.
My advice is be aggressive and apply early...
-NAVY PA-C

#30 choco86

choco86

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:35 AM

wow that figures!! The problem is..there's only one guy around my area. Guess Ill have to try to reach him via phone.

Also, I heard people saying "apply early". How early is early? I am still taking pre-req classes right now and still need to get some HCE hours in too. Should I apply right before I send in my CAPSA apps for schools?

One last question, do I need to apply through a recruiter only? Or is there a way for me to apply otherwise?

I know navy also has HPSP program too. I am contemplating between AF or Navy. I was just leaning towards AF more because I have a family member who was in the AF.

Thanks!!

#31 SCHMITTIE120

SCHMITTIE120

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

wow that figures!! The problem is..there's only one guy around my area. Guess Ill have to try to reach him via phone.

Also, I heard people saying "apply early". How early is early? I am still taking pre-req classes right now and still need to get some HCE hours in too. Should I apply right before I send in my CAPSA apps for schools?

One last question, do I need to apply through a recruiter only? Or is there a way for me to apply otherwise?

I know navy also has HPSP program too. I am contemplating between AF or Navy. I was just leaning towards AF more because I have a family member who was in the AF.

Thanks!!

In order to be considered for the HPSP scholarship you need to have an acceptance from a accredited PA program. You can start filling out the paperwork and getting your package together if you are in the process of applying but your package will not be complete and be sent to the review board until you have the acceptance.
United States Navy PA-C

#32 Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

Navy PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

As always I encourage all of those persons interested in HPSP to reach out to the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) for the latest up to date info on Navy HPSP. I have asked for this sticky thread to avoid duplicate answers to already answered questions.

I encourage all of you to do a search and then post a question not already answered here and only here. I can only answer the same questions so many times.
:wink:

I know I have a back log of PMs to answer so please be patient. Please bear in mind that the Navy PA community is very small so if you are a current HPSP student or coming on active duty we know who you are so please present yourself as a Naval Officer in all matters related to the service.
-NAVY PA-C

#33 bbrown41788

bbrown41788

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

how many Navy-PAs are deployed with the Marines roughly? out of the 200 or so out there I'm curious as to the number of those sent out on ships, augmenting the Marines, or stationed stateside at any given time. I've also been looking into transferring into the Coast Guard after some time to have a more stable lifestyle--anyone with experience on USCG PA's?from my understanding, the 20year military retirement/benefits can be accrued through seperate branches collectively...correct?

#34 jefftowens

jefftowens

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Does anyone know if there are upcoming board review dates for the HPCP? I start PA school in July and have been told by my recruiter that my kit has been sent. Does it go by state or is it on a national level? I live in Florida.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

#35 Maribel

Maribel

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hi jefftowens:
I was just recently informed that I received the Navy HPCP a couple of weeks ago. My application was completed months ago and if I am correct Board reviews were this past November. If memory serves me well, the Boards meet once or twice per year. I do not know if this by state or nationally. I will not be official until June 1 (i.e when I start receiving benefits). Hope this helps! Good luck!

#36 bbrown41788

bbrown41788

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

how many Navy-PAs are deployed with the Marines roughly? out of the 200 or so out there I'm curious as to the number of those sent out on ships, augmenting the Marines, or stationed stateside at any given time. I've also been looking into transferring into the Coast Guard after some time to have a more stable lifestyle--anyone with experience on USCG PA's?from my understanding, the 20year military retirement/benefits can be accrued through seperate branches collectively...correct?

#37 jefftowens

jefftowens

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Does anyone know if there are upcoming board review dates for the HPCP? I start PA school in July and have been told by my recruiter that my kit has been sent. Does it go by state or is it on a national level? I live in Florida.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

#38 Maribel

Maribel

Registered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hi jefftowens:
I was just recently informed that I received the Navy HPCP a couple of weeks ago. My application was completed months ago and if I am correct Board reviews were this past November. If memory serves me well, the Boards meet once or twice per year. I do not know if this by state or nationally. I will not be official until June 1 (i.e when I start receiving benefits). Hope this helps! Good luck!

#39 JTwizzle

JTwizzle

Registered

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

Good Evening folks!

I'm a Pre-PA, still doing Undergrad, and serving in the ANG (also been AD/USAFR). My question for anyone here that might know:

What's the difference between the HPSP and say, going to USU, besides the diploma? I don't mind going back AD, and honestly, I loved being on AD, and also don't mind deploying (on the hook for my 4th this Fall).

Also, I will probably start a separate thread, but how competitive is the HPSP? I guess I ask in general terms, as I have yet to meet anyone who has applied for it, in person.

Thanks for any help you can send my way!!

JT

#40 d2305

d2305

PA-C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Everyone forgot to mention the time you will spend in meetings which drag on for hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users