Air force/navy hpsp

I am aware that I will be coming out on top as my program is at a private university and very expensive so I have no problem footing the bill for one quarter. I was just told by my recruiter that I would be payed back for the previous semester because I had already been selected for the HPSP scholarship but just waiting till Jan. of the new year to be commissioned. I have no hard feelings toward my recruiter who gave me this information, I just took his word for it and didn't do the research for myself. Lesson learned.

Only the first 2 lines of my last reply were directed at you. Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out.

All's good shipmate.:;-D:

This thread has really been helpful. I applied to PA school this year and have been accepted into 1 program so far and am still waiting to hear back from program #2 where I interviewed last week. Last year, I completed my Navy HSCP application and it has been "hanging out" with my recruiter until I have a letter of admission into a PA program, at which time it will be sent off to the board for review. My recruiter really doesn't seem to know a lot about the program and even admitted that she hasn't processed many PA applicants for the HSCP, so she hasn't been able to answer some of my questions. I'd appreciate it if someone could respond to the following:

1. First of all, if I am accepted for the Navy Health Services Collegiate Program, how much salary / housing allowance will I receive each month? The Navy website says$3,280 to $5,610 for up to 24 months depending on the specialty. I was wondering if you knew exactly how much I would receive as a Physician Assistant student? I am aware that the housing allowance is based on geographical area.

2. Secondly, both programs that I'm pursuing begin in August. When exactly would I begin receiving the Navy salary? Is it from the time I am accepted into the HSCP or would it start when I begin classes or is it based on the October to October fiscal year?

Thanks

Hi guys!! I am currently a pre-pa taking some pre-req classes. Recently I've been interested in Air Force HPSP. I looked online for a "healthcare profession" recruite and emailed him couple of days ago asking for more information. However, I haven't heard anything from him yet. Should I call him or just wait?

In the mean time, can you guys give me some insight on how to apply, the process or even share your experiences??

Thanks so much!!

Hi guys!! I am currently a pre-pa taking some pre-req classes. Recently I've been interested in Air Force HPSP. I looked online for a "healthcare profession" recruite and emailed him couple of days ago asking for more information. However, I haven't heard anything from him yet. Should I call him or just wait?

In the mean time, can you guys give me some insight on how to apply, the process or even share your experiences??

Thanks so much!!

I know very little about the USAF HPSP other than what is available with a quick Google search, but AF recruiters are notorious for being hard to track down.

My advice is be aggressive and apply early...

wow that figures!! The problem is..there's only one guy around my area. Guess Ill have to try to reach him via phone.

Also, I heard people saying "apply early". How early is early? I am still taking pre-req classes right now and still need to get some HCE hours in too. Should I apply right before I send in my CAPSA apps for schools?

One last question, do I need to apply through a recruiter only? Or is there a way for me to apply otherwise?

I know navy also has HPSP program too. I am contemplating between AF or Navy. I was just leaning towards AF more because I have a family member who was in the AF.

Thanks!!

wow that figures!! The problem is..there's only one guy around my area. Guess Ill have to try to reach him via phone.

Also, I heard people saying "apply early". How early is early? I am still taking pre-req classes right now and still need to get some HCE hours in too. Should I apply right before I send in my CAPSA apps for schools?

One last question, do I need to apply through a recruiter only? Or is there a way for me to apply otherwise?

I know navy also has HPSP program too. I am contemplating between AF or Navy. I was just leaning towards AF more because I have a family member who was in the AF.

Thanks!!

In order to be considered for the HPSP scholarship you need to have an acceptance from a accredited PA program. You can start filling out the paperwork and getting your package together if you are in the process of applying but your package will not be complete and be sent to the review board until you have the acceptance.

As always I encourage all of those persons interested in HPSP to reach out to the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) for the latest up to date info on Navy HPSP. I have asked for this sticky thread to avoid duplicate answers to already answered questions.

I encourage all of you to do a search and then post a question not already answered here and only here. I can only answer the same questions so many times.

:wink:

I know I have a back log of PMs to answer so please be patient. Please bear in mind that the Navy PA community is very small so if you are a current HPSP student or coming on active duty we know who you are so please present yourself as a Naval Officer in all matters related to the service.

• 3 weeks later...

how many Navy-PAs are deployed with the Marines roughly? out of the 200 or so out there I'm curious as to the number of those sent out on ships, augmenting the Marines, or stationed stateside at any given time. I've also been looking into transferring into the Coast Guard after some time to have a more stable lifestyle--anyone with experience on USCG PA's?from my understanding, the 20year military retirement/benefits can be accrued through seperate branches collectively...correct?

how many Navy-PAs are deployed with the Marines roughly? out of the 200 or so out there I'm curious as to the number of those sent out on ships, augmenting the Marines, or stationed stateside at any given time. I've also been looking into transferring into the Coast Guard after some time to have a more stable lifestyle--anyone with experience on USCG PA's?from my understanding, the 20year military retirement/benefits can be accrued through seperate branches collectively...correct?

Hi jefftowens:

I was just recently informed that I received the Navy HPCP a couple of weeks ago. My application was completed months ago and if I am correct Board reviews were this past November. If memory serves me well, the Boards meet once or twice per year. I do not know if this by state or nationally. I will not be official until June 1 (i.e when I start receiving benefits). Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi jefftowens:

I was just recently informed that I received the Navy HPCP a couple of weeks ago. My application was completed months ago and if I am correct Board reviews were this past November. If memory serves me well, the Boards meet once or twice per year. I do not know if this by state or nationally. I will not be official until June 1 (i.e when I start receiving benefits). Hope this helps! Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening folks!

I'm a Pre-PA, still doing Undergrad, and serving in the ANG (also been AD/USAFR). My question for anyone here that might know:

What's the difference between the HPSP and say, going to USU, besides the diploma? I don't mind going back AD, and honestly, I loved being on AD, and also don't mind deploying (on the hook for my 4th this Fall).

Also, I will probably start a separate thread, but how competitive is the HPSP? I guess I ask in general terms, as I have yet to meet anyone who has applied for it, in person.

Thanks for any help you can send my way!!

JT

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to a PA school and started reading about the HPSP. A quick question that I can't seem to find he answer to, my school is three years long. Is it even possible to get the HPSP for three years? It sounds like getting two years covered is the most I can hope for (which is still a pretty dang good deal).

Also, could anyone explain in a little more detail what "deployment" means. I understand that after accepting this scholarship, the military can tell me to move to Japan/Germany/Texas/or where ever. I don't really care where they send me as long as my wife can move with me. However, after I move once I can be "deployed". During this time I live on ship or in a combat zone. It only last 6-12 months, but family can't come with (am I right so far?). My big question is what happens while I'm on deployment. My main interest in being a PA is primary care, but do Marines in Afghanistan really need that? Am I ever going to need to go on patrol or what not?

I know these are some pretty basic questions, but I really want to hear how non-recruiters answer them. Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in!

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to a PA school and started reading about the HPSP. A quick question that I can't seem to find he answer to, my school is three years long. Is it even possible to get the HPSP for three years? It sounds like getting two years covered is the most I can hope for (which is still a pretty dang good deal).

Also, could anyone explain in a little more detail what "deployment" means. I understand that after accepting this scholarship, the military can tell me to move to Japan/Germany/Texas/or where ever. I don't really care where they send me as long as my wife can move with me. However, after I move once I can be "deployed". During this time I live on ship or in a combat zone. It only last 6-12 months, but family can't come with (am I right so far?). My big question is what happens while I'm on deployment. My main interest in being a PA is primary care, but do Marines in Afghanistan really need that? Am I ever going to need to go on patrol or what not?

I know these are some pretty basic questions, but I really want to hear how non-recruiters answer them. Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in!

There is no HPSP for the Navy this year, but they are expanding the number of HSCP (not a scholarship, but you get the salary of E6 rank up to 55k per year, tricare for you and family, and all other active duty benefits with your only job being a student) slots.though they may have it next fiscal year (October to October).

You can ony get HPSP or HSCP as a PA for only 24 months.

You are sent to a duty station, which is where you live until deployment. Deployment in the navy can be with marines, on a ship, possibly an augmented deployment with the Army to put it simply. Navy deployments are typically about 7 months, but everything is based on the needs of the military. IF you are sent to a duty station overseas (Japan, Germany, ect), this is considered "deployment." You will spend you 3 years there at your duty station, then they like to bring you back to the states. Some people do "island hop" and stay gone longer going from one overseas duty station to another.

I'm going to be signing my HSCP papers in a few weeks. If you have any questions about basic branch differences, HPSP/HSCP application process, or whatever else feel free to PM me.

• 5 weeks later...

Re: Deployments, I agree w/ what Oneal has said. The only thing I would add is that there is difference in being stationed at a "Shore Command" and an "Operational" One(i.e. Marines, SpecWar, Carrier). When Oneal says you can be "augmented" for a deployment, this would be done out of a shore command. For example, right now I'm stationed at Clinic in Washington state, but I was "augmented", or IA, to a Marine unit out of AZ last fall for an 8 mo deployment to Afghanistan. Two of our docs also went IA to the Marines and Army respectively. The general feeling is that this stuff "should" be slowing down a lot, but you never know. Next I'm going to an operational command w/ the Marines. When you're with an operational command you deploy w/ the unit you are stationed with and you should expect to deploy at least once while with that unit, maybe more depending on when you arrive to that command and their operational schedule. And yes, if you plan on staying in the Navy, you need to plan on taking on an operational billet here and there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

I'm Elizabeth. I'm new to this forum. I am currently in the Air Force HPSP program. I graduate from the University of South Alabama August 1, 2013. I am recently married and my husband is a Marine Corps officer stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA. I am trying to get stationed with him but it is very difficult with the Air Force. I may be able to switch over to the Navy HPSP program. One of the directors told me if I have another PA willing to switch to the AF, so essentially "swap" places, it would be more appealing. I was just trying to see if anyone in Navy HPSP is interested in switching to the AF?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I've been talking to a USAF recruiter for about four months now. I had my HPSP packet filled out and ready to go a couple days ago. When the recruiter got back to me, he said that the Air Force isn't projected to offer ANY scholarships to PA students this year, despite the fact that they offered over 40 scholarships last year. Does anyone know if this is true?

• 3 weeks later...
The military is plum out of scholarships for PAs. The Navy definitely isn't doing HPSP and they didn't do it last year either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Agree. The Corps Admiral stated that there will be an increase in HSCP to account for HPSP quota deletion. Of course this could mean as little as 1 slot/FY...NAVADMIN pending so I will update when it is "official". Sorry all, budget cuts are running deeep.